Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

Jillian was her own beauty queen, wearing a green dress down to her ankles, white 3 inch heels, but a more conservative front. Regina helped Jillian pull her hair back into a pony tail and then a bun behind that. A few trails of bangs were left to fall over her face. Jillian also wore her serpent mark, but otherwise had no other adornment.

When the ladies were ready, Regina walked to the main doors of the rooms. When she opened it, Draco was standing with his mother and father. Regina smiled.

"Please turn around, Regina," he asked. Regina turned as Draco stepped around her and placed around her neck a necklace with a huge emerald inside of the Malfoy crest. Then, he pulled out a bracelet, silver bangles in the Malfoy symbols.

"These bangles" he said "are charmed so that only you or I can take them off. Please wear these bangles always in public so that everyone knows that I am courting you."

Regina smiled brilliantly. Then, Draco reached over and offered Regina another emerald for her right index finger and a silver serpent for her right ring finger. When Regina was properly adorned, Lucius and then Narcissa gave Regina a gentle hug. Then, Narcissa said, "We have a photographer who will take a picture of the two of you for the Daily Prophet, a picture of Regina and Jillian for you both, and a picture of Regina, Draco, Lucius, and myself.

Regina took Draco's arm to walk down the majestic staircase. At the bottom of the staircase, the couple posed for the pictures Mrs. Malfoy had mentioned. Then, Narcissa left to make a few finishing arrangements for the gala.

Jillian was excused to an adjoining room. She would be entertained by Rabastan Lestrange for a few minutes. Regina took her now official boyfriend's arm and walked to the entrance point. Then, company began to arrive.

Regina was the gracious hostess – more gracious than Pansy Parkinson had ever been. She looked the part of a proud Pureblood. She was clearly the most eligible bachelorette in the Wizarding World and she adorned the arm of the most eligible bachelor in the Wizarding World. She knew how to make small talk. She knew how to avoid offense – even to the very few neutral families that still dared to present themselves.

After nearly two hours of standing and welcoming and small talk, Regina followed Draco to the Great Hall.

Lucius Malfoy rang the glass.

"We will begin in a moment, ladies and gentlemen." He spoke quite proudly but not too crassly as he continued.

"I would like to make an announcement." At this he had everyone's full attention. "After the tragedy for my son late this summer at the terrible attack upon his wife-to-be, we along with the Parkinson family grieved. While we still wish many happy returns to the Parkinson family, the Malfoy family has had a happy respite."

With one more dramatic pause to spare, he finally continued. "It gives me great honor to present Miss Regina Fawley on the arm of my son, Draco. It is our intention that the honorable and noble houses of Malfoy and Fawley will be able to help our world move forward."

There was much applause as Regina appeared publicly on the arm of Draco Malfoy with a proud smile on her face. Many familiar and not so familiar faces lifted goblets of fine wine in her direction. A goblet of wine – not the youthful spirit offered to her in other years was put in her glass. She turned and smiled into the face of Draco who smiled warmly back. They clinked their glasses together and then drank the wine.

After the applause and warm wishes shouted out, Lucius and Narcissa and then Draco and Regina led the adults to a large table in the middle of the ballroom. Of course, the Minister, the Dark Lord himself was seated at the far end. On his right were Lucius and Narcissa. On his left were Draco and Regina. Next to Regina was Bellatrix and her husband.