Chapter Thirteen

Hello its me again! Sorry this update is late, but I hope this chapter will make up for it. We left off with Emery running away from Violet on the roof. Which, in my opinion, is understandable. Violet fucked Emery over pretty badly, and you don't just bounce back from something like that. It's not so easy to trust that person. 

This chapter delves further into their interactions and them attempting to get to the root of their issues and finally be able to explain. 

Enjoy

Chapter Thirteen: Present, A week later

I'm not sure how long I had stayed up on the roof when Emery left me. It's not that I was shocked, it was more that I finally understood how it must have felt to be in her shoes. Every time she tried to open up to me I would bolt. I know my reasoning behind why I ran, and even if I could turn back time there isn't much I would change. I regret that I had to leave her. I regret that I never fully opened up to her. But I can't say that I regret doing it to protect her. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that she would have been hurt way more in the process had I stayed. I just wish she would give me a chance to explain.

It's been a week. For that week I went through the motion. Class, eat, avoid my room until early morning, sleep, class, eat, avoid, and on and on and on. There were moments where I was tempted to find her, like she had always done with me, but I never did. It's not like it was when we were teenagers. It's not as simple—even though it really was never simple.

So, I hid in the library and did work. Sat on the roof watching the sun come up. Went for walks across campus. And then back again. I floated through the past week afraid to misstep just a little in case I push Emery further out of my life than she already was. The more I wait, though, the worse I feel. I finally found her, I finally had her somewhat back in my life, and I didn't want to let that slip through my fingers.

I go to the Lost Bookshop one evening after class. There is no way of knowing she's there, I just know it used to be her favorite place. I chicken out half way there and wander around Shorecliff. Most shops have closed for the night, some restaurants are open filled with light and noise. The streets are dark save for the intermittent lamps shining spheres of yellow onto the sidewalk. I stumble upon a little courtyard with a large fountain in the middle. There are benches surrounding it and a few people milling around chatting idly with each other. Near the back of the courtyard is a little café, a wooden sign hangs over the door: Nina's Café.

The exhaustion of the past week catches up to me, my limbs feel heavy and I allow my feet to guide me into the shop. A sweet older woman takes my order—iced caramel latte—and happily passes it over the counter a couple minutes later. It's good, and I appreciate the distraction; something to do with my hands.

I walk out of the courtyard and head back toward campus. As much as I want to find Emery and talk to her, I have a strong feeling she wants nothing to do with me right now. She was always the type of woman who would come to you when she was ready, and I don't want to push that.

As I step back out onto the main sidewalk, I'm too lost in my own thoughts to notice my surroundings and bump into someone. My coffee falls to the ground with a splash. I stare at the ground in defeat.

"Shit, I'm so sorry." My head shoots up and come face-to-face with Emery. "Oh, Violet, uh...hi." I don't say anything. "I'm sorry about that...I gotta go though, I'll see you around." She starts to walk away, bag slung over her shoulder, head bent down, legs moving quickly. I'm half tempted to let her go, if she wanted to talk, she would have. But just before she gets out of ear shot the words slip out of my mouth in a yell.