Chapter 1. Free Lemonade

In a small village called Felkion...

"LINK!" a red faced Impa stormed over to the juice vendor's stall. With a large build and a regal demeanor, Impa could easily be dubbed as one of the most scariest Hylians that existed. Link didn't notice her approach, as he was drinking-more maniacal, not normally- down glass after glass of lemonade. "Ahhh... This is the life, having absolutely free lemonade!" he said, snatching another cold cup, which he also quickly finished. A smile plastered his face now. But it didn't remain there for long.

"Link, what do you think you're doing?!?"  creeched Impa, stomping towards him like a monster.

"Uhhh... drinking lemonade?" he said innocently, using his sleeve to wipe away the yellow stains that marked his chin. Link widened his eyes in innocence and said "Com'on Impa, we've been running around Felkion for hours, and there's still no sign of anything that had to do with Farore."

Faster than he could comprehend, Impa used one of her meaty fingers and seized one of Link's elven-like ears. "That's no excuse to sneak away and raid a lemonade stand!" she fumed, twisting his ear at an odd angle.

"Owowowow.... fine, but I didn't raid it, it says 'free lemonade' right there." he pointed to a nearby sign.

Princess Zelda had sent he and Impa, to find and bring back the last of the three Oracles, Farore. Asking Nayru, who could scry things to a certain extent, offered her help through telepathy, and from her home in the forest, helped them determine a possible location that her sister, Farore, could be. Link had learned that Nayru's abilities were usually correct, but so far, they've searched through more then half of Hyrule on foot, with no luck of finding Farore.

"Woah, lady, calm down." the vendor held up both hands in a sign of peace. "Instead of raging, help yourself to a glass of ice cold lemonade! You don't need to worry about your weight anyways..." he said that last part quietly, but Link could hear everything clearly. Impa was.... a bit 'big', but if he told her that...

She suddenly let go of Link's ear -much to his relief- and tried her best to not tear off the vendor's head. Her face was all smiles in that moment, but Link knew better. She, deep inside, wanted to show her what a woman like her was made of. He stiffled a giggle. Impa was always telling him to behave, but she acted much more childish sometimes.

"No thank you." she said curtly, not showing her disdain at the man's words. "In fact, me and my nephew here have to hit the road. We'd best be off." and with that, she dragged Link by the collar down the street. The vendor narrowed his eyes at them.

"Seriously Link, I thought you knew better then that." scolded Impa, as the walked through the bustling village "I did." grumbled Link, who was in a foul mood. "Just not when I'm THIRSTY. And since when did I become your 'nephew'?" Impa smiled slightly, the sides of her mouth folding upwards. "You became my nephew when I said so." she replied, giving him a wink.

Getting away from the vendor without arousing too much suspicion was difficult, but in the end, he was persuaded by the storm of hugs and kisses Impa gave Link.

Link almost smiled himself in amusement, when he remembered something. "Impa." he called, tugging her arm gently. "I want to know something." The smile on her face vanished. "And what would that be?" He thought for a moment, searching for the right words.

"You know how Din can control seasons and Nayru can bend time to her will? They can do that because they're the Oracles of Seasons and Ages, right?"

"Yes," responded Impa cautiously. They had stopped walking.

"Well, I was wondering that since Farore is an Oracle, what does she control? The name 'Oracle of Secrets' doesn't give much clues. Impa stared at him for a while, and Link almost started wondering if he said something wrong.

Finally, she sighed deeply. "I guess... the time has come, Link." Link was even more confused now.

"The time for what?" Impa stretched and yawned, and replied,

"Well, I guess my old bones aren't so used to so much traveling. Let's get to an inn first. Then, we'll talk."

----------

As he shuffled to the supply cabinet, Codi sighed for what seemed like the millionth time today. His father, the owner of the best and only beauty shop in Felkion, he, his heir, was destined to take up his profession. His parents had hoped for a girl, someone who was interested in the workings of beauty, but instead, all they got was a plain old Codi. He sighed again as he retrieved the white facial powder and lotus oils.

"Codi, HURRY!" bellowed his father, who was becoming more and more impatient by the second.

"Coming." he replied softly, almost whispering the words he had repeatedly used for eight years. He couldn't care more or less if his father heard him.

Sometimes, Codi wished he'd never been born into this life. He had always envied the lives of the heroes in the legends of the old. If he had the choice, he would've chosen to die and live a short life as s Knight,rather than living the full, dreary life of a commoner. But no one would, and will never give him that choice, not even if he lived a thousand times. Miserably, Codi dragged his sorry self out the supply room door, and prepared for another tongue-lashing from his father.

----------

That night, as Codi watched the stars from his bedroom, he realized something.

I'll never be anyone... just  a nobody for the rest of my life. An outcast.

He accepted the painful truth, as he recalled the words his father used to scold him. 

"CODI! Listen now, for I won't repeat this again. If you really want to be one of those 'heroes', run away! Then, at least me and your mother would be rid of another burden."

He was right.

There was no hope for him. He was just a miserable kid who saw strange things now and then. His black hair was shaggy, and he was skinny as a stick. He couldn't even marry anyone who would make his parents happy.

Codi tossed and turned in his bed, as he recalled the brave deeds of the heroes of Labrynna. Link, the young one, and Raven, the knight. They had courageously saved the country from a wicked enemy, one who could posses and control people. They had bravely climbed a tower which rose to the heavens, they had traveled through time to challenge destiny.

He sighed again. If only he were better. If only he was more like Link, or Raven.

----------

*Note that when I said 'scry' I meant as an ability to divine the approximate location of a person place or thing.:D Hope you enjoyed this chapter:D Oh, when I said Link saved Labrynna, I meant as in the Oracle of Ages. Link traveled back in time to save the world (AGAIN) from this evil lady called Veran. He helped his ancestor, Raven, and together, they defeated her. The Link in that legend isn't the one you just read about, he's one of his ancestors:D They share the same name too-.-