7: Stay Away

Flashback, 1864

I eagerly removed my arm-length gloves before kneeling down and gently scooping the tiny white rabbit away from the thorn-swamped rose bushes. I let out a small giggle when I caressed its furry body as the rabbit laid its head against my palm. Such a cute creature.

The sounds of footsteps coming in my direction reached my ears. I got up on my feet as Stefan stepped inside my line of view with both of his hands clasped behind him.

I strode over to him, still holding the tiny animal, and said, "Stefan, look what I have found!"

I splayed out my hand, showing him the bunny resting in my palm. I noticed his lips twitched up into a smile but then it disappeared as if he remembered something.

"Stefan?" I asked him, beginning to worry now.

"It's Damon," His voice slightly faltered as he answered, "Briar, he has fallen sick and he wants to see you."

I can feel the bunny was alarmed by my sudden distress because it quirked its head up and acted as if getting off my hand now. I stepped away from Stefan and the rose bushes before I released the bunny.

I slipped my arms into the white gloves while walking to my original position. Stefan held out his arm to me and I graciously accepted the gesture by encircling my right arm around his.

Together, we trod the garden steps into the Salvatore mansion. I grab hold of my floor-length dress as we walked up the stairs. We arrived in front of Damon's chamber after a few moments.

Stefan gently unwrapped my arm that was holding him and said, "You go inside, Damon has been waiting for you and Father wants to have a word with me."

"Please take care of him," Stefan whispered with much sympathy. I nodded at him and he began to walk away.

I turned to the mahogany door and knocked softly, "Damon? It is me, Briar Rose."

"Come... in," I heard him say, his voice strained a bit at the end.

I turned the doorknob and opened the door to Damon's room. I immediately saw him lying on his bed, so I closed the door behind me and sauntered over to him.

"'Morning Damon," I greeted with a small smile after sitting beside him.

Beads of sweat covered his face and his entire body. I placed my hand against his forehead, only to find him burning with fever. I grabbed a cloth from his bedside table and wiped the perspiration off his face.

"Hey," he greeted back while trying to smile.

"I am truly sorry Damon. I should not have pulled you out to play with me in the rain yesterday," I apologized before dunking the cloth into the basin filled with water. I twisted the cloth to squeeze the water out and dabbed the cloth lightly to his forehead.

"It is alright, we had lots of fun didn't we?" he said with a smile but then he went into a coughing fit.

I immediately poured water from a pitcher beside the basin into a cup and then helped Damon to sit up. With slightly trembling hands, he took the glass from my hand and held it to his lips and drank. When he was finished, I took the glass back and placed it on the bedside table.

"You should take a rest. I'll stay here if you want," I said while helping him lie down once again. He nodded at me as an answer and I let out a small smile. He closed his eyes and after a few moments, I can hear his slight snoring, indicating he has fallen asleep.

Turning Page ☾Klaus Mikaelsonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें