Happy Valentines

Nora looked up from the bright red display outside of Clinton's. Valentines day. *Insert head shaking in disappointment* Nora did not like Valentines day. It was the same every year. She'd get a call from her best friend Celle asking for help with gift shopping, she'd reluctantly agree after being bribed with countless food and DVD offers and then she'd endure two and a half hours of following her friend around the shopping centre whilst she picked out presents for her boyfriend of two long years.

"Does it really matter what you get him?" Nora asked boredly as Celle's bright brown eyes scanned over the cards that aligned the wall.

"Of course it matters. He always gets me something amazing on Valentines Day or my Birthday or Christmas. I want the present to be good." Her best friend insisted.

"We've been prancing around willynilly for almost two hours and you've picked a card and envelope." Nora whined following Celle towards the checkout.

"Oh shut up." Celle chuckled. "Can we just change the subject?"

They walked out of the shop together and started walking down the halls towards the escalators. "You sneaky little devil, trying to change the subject. I won't forget this you know, I will use this to my advantage one day an-"

"How's your dad doing?"

Yep, that ought to shut Nora up.

Ever since New Years two months ago, Nora's father had been in a bit of a critical state. He didn't come home that night, or that week for that matter. When the doctors had finally stopped the bleeding and stabilised him, he was put into a medically induced coma. Saying Nora was worrying her socks off was the understatement of the year, bearing in mind it'd still only just started.

She had been staying with her aunt for a month before they finally gave Adam the clear to come home again. That was just over fourteen days ago.

There were one too many times that Adam would forget things. A lot of things. Things that he always used to talk about before the accident. But Nora made sure she was there to refresh his memory and every time he shook his head smiling and recalled it like it was no big deal that it was missing from his memory in the first place.

Nora worried.

She worried every time he so much as lost his balance, to the point where'd he'd actually trip and fall.

Nora was terrified to put it correctly.

"He's alright. You know how he is." Nora smiled tightly, attempting to reassure Celle.

Her friend nodded, understanding that talking about it was out of the question.

Nora looked up at the bright sign that was Sports Direct and groaned. "Celle, do we have to go in there?"

"Yes we do. Shawn said something about wanting a new footy shirt."

Nora raised an eyebrow at her friend, "And you're sure you know what your doing?"

Celle raised her hand and punched Nora's shoulder. "Stop mocking me. Wait outside then." And with that her best friend disappeared into the shop in search of the perfect present for her boyfriend. Nora rolled her eyes and absentmindedly rubbed her arm before leaning against the wall beside the shop entrance.

"I think I preferred you in the blue dress."

Nora turned her head towards the sound of the distantly familiar voice and found Harvey, the boy from the hospital, walking towards her. He stuffed his hands into the pockets of his jeans. She smiled. "Same here."

"What, the dress?" he chuckled.

"No. You and you're suit."

"Ah, I see. And what brings the blue fairy to the shopping centre on Valentines day?" Harvey asks, a smirk etching across his features as he approaches Nora.

"Well you know, on the look out for Pinocchio. What about you Harvey Hatter, gotten bored of wonderland yet?"

"Well Edmunds being a dick and wondered off into Narnia so I figured I'd follow. Although seems as if I've stumbled upon one of the queens gremlins." He chuckled and eyed Nora.

Nora shook her head. "Haven't seen you in a while. How's your dad? Your uncle still partially insane?"

"Dads fine, uncles fine. How about yours?"

Nora nodded slowly, "Yep. Good as can be." She lied.

"That's good to hear."

"Always is."

Harvey laughed softly again and smiled at Nora. "I best leave you to it, little sister wants to find something for her crush."

Nora laughed loudly, "The genius?" she asked.

"Indeed."

"That's adorable."

"It's evil."

"I still wanna meet this kid." Nora chuckled.

"You will." Harvey smiled and nodded.

What does that mean? What was he implying by that?

"I'll see you soon Hatter." Nora broke the silence, breaking eye contact from their staring contest.

Harvey nodded and began to walk away, but not before turning around and winking, saying, "Happy Valentines Nora."

"Hmm... so it goes."