Gucci Guilty?

A week later I was driving home from work trying to beat the forecast-ed mini blizzard that was supposed to start any minute. As I walked into my house Chris called me.

"Hey angel." I could hear the grin in his voice.

"Hey." I echoed. "What's up? I thought you'd be here."

"I'm heading that way. I was bringing firewood in for my mom."

"Wow. You're the sweetest in the world." I set my purse down on the kitchen table and slipped my jacket off followed by the beanie on my head.

"You know it sweetheart."

"Alight, drive safe. I'll see you in a little bit."

"I wanted to ask you what day the Christmas party, gala thing was."

"The 14th of December.....why?"

"I don't know if you remember I did a Gucci ad a couple years ago."

"I sort of remember." I was lying. I completely remembered. How could one FORGET that ad?

"Well they approached me to shoot a quick campaign ad in New York, but I would be flying home Friday the 14th."

"Oh well you should do it. Absolutely."

"I should be back in time to go to the party. It's only New York. And I'll be flying so it should be a quick flight as long as the weather is decent."

"When do you fly out?" I asked sitting down at the kitchen table trying not to feel sad.

"Monday. We film it Wednesday and Thursday and I fly home Friday."

"Ok."

"You sure?"

"Why are you asking me? I wouldn't ever tell you not to do something for your career. And you don't need my permission."

"I know but I like to check with you. Ok I'll be there in 5. Love you."

"Love you." I hung up setting my phone down with a pout.

"Do not look so sad." Scott nudged me with his arm.

It was the evening of the Holiday Gala. Chris didn't make it back in time. They were supposed to shoot the ad Wednesday and Thursday but bad weather had pushed it out a day and he missed his flight. It was 7:30 pm and I had to leave for the Gala, so I substituted Scott for my plus one.

"I'm not sad. I'm glad you're in town and able to come with me." I smiled at him in the darkness of the car as we drove into Boston.

"He really tried to get back." Scott said.

"I know he did. Speaking of." I pulled my ringing phone out of my purse, "Hey baby." I answered.

"Hey. I'm on the plane now. I know I'll miss a couple hours of the party but I'm coming straight there."

"Oh." I frowned, "Well I kinda invited someone else."

"Who?! Is it Zach? I'll kill him."

"No!" I practically shouted.

"Who did you invite?"

"Your brother." I said a little irritated. "Was I supposed to go solo? We paid for you to go and while $500 a table is probably pocket change for you, it reflected poorly on me to have a plus one who didn't make it."