Chapter 22 - I'll Give You Proof!

En başından başla

"She's been dead for 12 years," Kankuro bit out.

"Yurei," Temari came up to me and placed her cold fingers on my forehead. "Are you sure you're okay? Should I call in the doctor?"

I gently swatted her fingers away. "I'm not crazy! I saw her! I saw her..." I struggled to swallow. Inhaling and exhaling slowly with my eyes closed, I opened them and looked straight into Gaara's green ones. "I saw her ghost."

My heart was leaping into my throat. My leg bounced up and down a little in impatience. I didn't dare blink, silently gauging their reactions.

Temari's lips were slightly parted and her eyes were wide. She was looking back at me trying to read my face for honesty. When she saw how serious I was, her eyebrows rose. Kankuro wasn't even looking at me anymore, his dark orbs diverted to the white tiled floor and he was slightly shaking his head muttering something under his breath. Gaara's gaze was piercing. It was almost overwhelming to have him staring so deeply into my eyes without even looking away. There wasn't anything cruel or angry about his eyes. They didn't look very cold either. They looked... expectant. Like he was waiting for me. An explanation.

"I'm going to call in the doctor and ask him to look at you again," Temari decided out loud, turning her body sideways and searching for the button that calls in the nurse on my bed. (I forgot what it's called lol)

"I'm not crazy!" I promised. I felt my stomach churn. I feared this would happen. That they wouldn't believe me. That they'd think I'm weird and crazy. A freak.

It's just like when I was a kid. Everyone called me that. "The freak who thinks she can see ghosts". I hated having people point at me and whisper that loudly to each other. I remember coming close to tears when I'd tried to play with other children and been rejected for being a weirdo. They didn't want to "catch the crazy".

I stopped trying to convince everyone so they'd treat me normally. I'm not normal but at least I could be treated like it. When I came to the Sand Village I was happy at first. At least no one there heard I use to say I could see ghosts. At last a fresh new start where I could actually make friends. Finally I made bonds with people. And right now I'm putting those bonds at stake.

No, it's far past putting them at stake. They're already out on a limb. They already think I'm crazy.

I should just take it back. Say it's a bad joke. Wait a week or two for them to forget and let things come back to normal.

But I might not have a week or two. For all I know this could be my last day. And this is too important to let go. Gaara needs to know the truth. I have to convince them all that I could really see ghosts.

"She has blue eyes and hair the color of sand -"

"You could know that from just looking at a picture! You ARE crazy! You're a freak."

Hearing the word was like a punch to the gut. I saw something flash in Gaara's eyes when he heard it too.

How could I prove it to them?!? Gaara's never met his mom! Most of the things he knows about her aren't even true! And when I asked her she said she wasn't very close with Temari and Kankuro. They were too young to remember anything about her.

I turned to my side where Gaara's mother now hovered. Her sky-blue almond-shaped eyes were filled with sadness that they didn't believe the truth. Gaara and his mom didn't have the same color eyes or hair but the similar feature they shared were their almond-shaped eyes.

"She's right here! Right next to me!" I waved my hand to my right to prove my point. Gritting my teeth with frustration, I did a few hand signs and transformed into her. I even changed into her snow-white plain gown that reached her mid-ankle. "This is what she looks like! I've never seen a picture of her before! Where could I have even seen her picture?!?"