Chapter 14 - His Reason

Dedicated 2 Netsirk25! Thx 4 all of your support!

This chap is pretty short, still important tho! I feel like it was rushed :/ I got2 miss skool cuz I was sick and I got the chance to write!

......fan Aunty Firoozy n I'll luv ya 4eva <3

***

"Hey! Open up!" The sound of the door being banged on jolted me awake. Instantly rising from my futon, my thin silk sheet (courtesy of the fancy hotel) slid down my midriff. I saw Temari and Kankuro had awaken from the loud noise too. Temari looked half dead and Kankuro looked like he was going to rip someone's head off for waking him up.

The booming fist that knocked on the door persisted and we all rushed to the door, me almost tripping on my own feet to open it. To my surprise, Baki was there.

"What do you want at this time?" Kankuro complained groggily, scratching his head. Even when he slept he kept his makeup and hoodie on.

Yawning quietly, I frowned at Baki. Why would he be here? He hardly ever comes to talk to us. By the look on his face, it seemed pretty urgent.

"Fools!" he barked. "I told you not to let your eyes off of him!"

We all gasped, knowing exactly what he meant. Gaara. When we ran into his room and threw open the door, we realized it was empty. The futon wasn't even touched and the room was completely void of any items to mark his presence. Gaara never came home last night!

"Did Gaara....?" Temari trailed off in a trembling voice.

"Where did he go?" Kankuro muttered through clenched teeth.

"Why'd he leave?" I bit my lip. It couldn't have been because of what happened earlier, could it?

Baki's eyes narrowed. "I hope nothing happens....."

"Hurry, let's go find him! We'll be in trouble if something bad happens." Kankuro exclaimed, all traces of sleepiness erased.

"Ugh, we're never gonna find him like this, this village is too big!" Temari pointed out once the three of us plus Baki left the apartment.

Baki's eyes hardened. "Gaara's never been here before so he doesn't know the places that well either. He couldn't have gotten that far."

"Baka!" Temari exclaimed, swinging her fist at Kankuro. "If you watched Gaara yesterday then this wouldn't have happened!"

Lucky for him, Kankuro narrowly dodged her fierce fist. "Hey, didn't you two go and look for him though?!?"

Temari frowned. "Neither of us were able to find him."

A pang of guilt struck my heart. I had lied to Temari. After that whole thing that happened with Gaara yesterday, when I got back I decided I didn't want to tell anyone what happened. I'm not sure myself what was going on.

He seemed so......scared. So defenseless. So confused. Every time I got closer to him he would immediately panic and demand I get away. And just like he had done in the Chuunin Exams, he clutched his head in sheer pain.

Last night, he worried me. No, that's an understatement. He made me go nearly out of my mind worrying about him. Gaara's losing himself to something.......I don't know what exactly, but it's like he's going through some mental form of torture.

He threatened to kill me. His sand got dangerously close to me. But......I wasn't scared of that. I was upset, actually, that he'd say that.

I mean, being threatened DOES scare me, but it didn't make me leave him when he was in such a bad mental state. Anyways, he never did hurt me. He easily could've.