twenty two - scorpius

e n j o y :)

———

They looked at each other for a heartbeat, and Albus was the one to turn away, as if he didn't quite believe the words that were coming out of his mouth.

Scorpius let the silence take over, once again, wishing he hadn't spoken. Wishing Albus wasn't so perceptive. Wishing it was just them, the two of them, and that they could forget about the idea of anyone else.

Regardless of what people might say, Scorpius wasn't entirely sure that he would even be able to handle simply being friends with Albus. It was difficult enough already, at the very top of the Astronomy tower, where it was just them and it was starting to feel an awful lot like a date. Albus was sitting close enough to him that if he raised his right arm, he'd be able to touch him; even that felt like too far a distance.

Scorpius took a deep breath, and moved over so that he was the tiniest bit closer. If Albus noticed, he didn't react.

"I wouldn't care," Albus said quietly, pulling him back into the real world. "I wouldn't care what people think. It wouldn't matter to me."

"Me too."

"Okay."

"Albus?"

"Yeah?" Albus's voice was tentative, almost hesitant, like he didn't know what to expect.

Scorpius didn't either. He'd spoken without knowing how to continue, and he wasn't sure why. He wanted to say something, anything that would bring Albus's teasing smile back, anything that would get rid of the gentle concern that Scorpius was beginning to develop a soft spot for.

He stood up, brushing off his robes. Albus followed.

"I-" he started, trailing off as Albus's gaze locked into his, eyes shining and eyebrows slightly furrowed in the middle, like he was looking for something. Scorpius felt his heart skip several beats.

"Albus, I..." He started again, in the hopes that he could find the words as he spoke. They didn't come. How could they, when Albus wouldn't take his eyes off him?

Almost all at once, Albus's face seemed to change; the tense, almost nervous expression he'd worn was replaced by a new one. A foreign one that Scorpius couldn't recognize. It was uncertain but expectant, like he was waiting for something but didn't know if it would ever arrive.

He wondered if Albus knew. He wondered if he wanted Albus to know.

He must know. Albus would have figured it out by now.

He had to know.

Albus bit his lip, and stopped. Scorpius's heart felt like it had travelled all the way up to his throat. He could feel every beat, in every part of his body.

Scorpius didn't know what came over him. The only thing that he was absolutely certain of at this point was that he wouldn't be able to forgive himself if he continued with his life without having kissed Albus Potter, at least one time.

So he did.

Albus let out a content gasp, and no more than a second after their lips met, he was snaking an arm around Scorpius's waist, pulling him in. The other hand was on the back of his head, running through his hair before settling gently at the nape of his neck.

His lips were soft, and they moved perfectly against his. There was no doubt that Albus had done this many times before, but Scorpius found even that thought was unable to put a dent in his mood.

He was kissing Albus Potter.

Albus was kissing him back.

In the moment, Scorpius knew he would have chosen that over all the chocolate frogs in the world.