"I get that a lot. I'm an exceptional study partner," Albus boasted jokingly. "There must be a whole lineup of people in this class waiting to get the chance to work with me."

"Waiting to work with someone who's answered one question in 45 minutes?" Scorpius teased, and Albus looked at him with mock offence.

"I'll have you know, history is a particularly difficult subject. I'm a genius for even answering one," he responded playfully, and Scorpius shook his head in wonder.

He'd be utterly doomed if Albus kept hanging around.

Just then, Rose Granger-Weasley cleared her throat from beside him. His focus had been so faraway that he hadn't even heard her walk over.

"Excuse me, I'd like to speak to my cousin. Albus, a word?" She sounded slightly annoyed, but her voice had a light undertone of anxiousness.

Her normally bushy red hair was tamed into two plaits that she was currently fumbling with. Scorpius noticed that she was pointedly not looking at him. Albus looked taken aback, but he got up anyway.

"I'll be right back," he whispered to Scorpius before Rose practically tugged him to an empty corner of the room.

Scorpius sighed. It was quite obvious what they were discussing. He watched as Rose's eyes widened at something Albus had said. He couldn't hear their conversation, but Albus looked almost frustrated. One of his fists were clenched, and he was giving Rose an expression of disbelief.

He wasn't completely stupid; he knew what would happen next. Rose would undoubtedly convince Albus to stay away from him. She was probably already halfway down the list of the many unthinkable things the Malfoys had done, both to her family and Albus's.

He felt a pang as he realized how nice it had been, working with Albus. He doubted he'd get the chance again.

At least this way he wouldn't have to torture himself by constantly thinking about things he'd never have. Scorpius has always been a rational thinker, but all rational thoughts left his head around the green eyed boy. He wondered if Albus could tell.

Rose looked like she couldn't believe what she was hearing. Her eyes were almost as wide as her jaw.

Albus shook his head at her, and then walked back to the seat beside Scorpius, fuming. Scorpius wouldn't have been surprised if there had been literal smoke coming from his ears.

"Is everything okay?" He asked uncertainly. Albus wasn't packing up his things, which gave him a ray of hope.

"Fine. She's just being difficult," he said curtly, massaging his temple.

"I'm-" Scorpius started, on the brink of apologizing, before remembering their deal. "It was because of me, wasn't it?"

"No," Albus said, without meeting his eyes.

Scorpius raised his eyebrows, and Albus winced, running a hand through his hair. He was an awful liar.

"Sort of..." he said apologetically.

"You don't have to stay, you know. I don't want to come in between you and Rose. I've seen you two together, it's obvious how close you are," Scorpius started, because he felt like it was the noble thing to do, but there was a selfish part of him that hoped Albus wouldn't accept.

The Slytherin part of him, he supposed.

"I'm staying." Albus's voice was firm. "She can't just tell me who to be friends with."

"So we're friends now?"

"I thought that much was obvious." Albus quirked an eyebrow.

"Oh." Scorpius's cheeks warmed. He was friends with Albus Potter? "I'd just feel awful if you two got into a fight because of me."

"We fight all the time, but it always works out in the end. I'm her favourite cousin, she can't stay away from me for long." He gave Scorpius an almost sad smile. "Don't worry about it, okay? It's not your fault. Besides, now she won't pester me for a few days."

Scorpius let out a small laugh. He still felt a little conscious, but Albus was probably right. He and Rose were practically inseparable, despite being in different houses. He didn't have any close relatives of his own, other than his father of course, but even he knew it would be hard for Albus and Rose to stay apart for long.

Guilt must have still been evident on his face, because Albus put a reassuring hand on his arm. Scorpius felt like he was unable to move. Not that he would have, if he could.

"Seriously, it's fine," Albus said softly, giving him a reassuring smile. "But since I'm sacrificing my relationship with my cousin to work with you, d'you think you could help me with number two? I don't really know much about goblin wars."

Scorpius laughed as he slid his notes over to Albus.

"Wow, I can hardly read your handwriting." Albus mused, scrunching his nose at the parchment, and Scorpius furrowed his eyebrows at him.

"Really? I didn't think it was that messy. Sorry, I can read it to you if you want," Scorpius said, his face contorting into an expression of confusion when Albus's eyes lit up.

Albus practically jumped off his seat, pointing at Scorpius.

"You apologized!"

Scorpius groaned, and buried his face in his hands. He should have seen that coming. His handwriting was perfectly decent, and he knew it.

"Now you're stuck with me for the rest of the month!" Albus looked giddy. "I can't believe you fell for that, your writing is perfect!"

"I'm not giving my notes to you ever again," Scorpius exclaimed. "That was cheating!"

"Was not! We didn't have any rules."

Scorpius knew Albus was right, so he didn't say anything. He just sat there, happier than he'd been in a long time.

"Does this mean I don't get to see that thing you were going to show me?" Scorpius pouted.

Albus thought for a moment.

"Stick around and maybe I'll show you anyway," he grinned.

"That wasn't part of the deal."

"I know. But like I said, I like you."

i absolutely adore flirtatious albus, oh my god. i swear i've never shipped a ship this pure.

vote and comment if you liked, i'd love to know what you think so far!

- gxldensnitched <3