Chapter 24

-Anne's POV-

I haven't been this scared since the night that Gilbert ended up in the hospital because of me. I feel the flashbacks coming back to me, but I keep strong and I continue to drive as fast (yet safely) as I can.

When I reach the hospital, I see Julie. 

"JULIE!" I scream. She turns around and looks at me in shock. I also notice that some of the doctors and people in the lobby give me weird looks, but I don't care.

"Anne! Hurry someone I-I don't know who came to visit him, but they-" Julie cuts off her sentence as soon as we reach Gilbert's room. She gestures with her hand that I should enter the room, so I do, but Julie doesn't follow me.

As I walk in, I see that the monitor isn't making its usual noises. It's a flatline. I begin to cry as I look at Gilbert. Around Gilbert's bed, there's police tape and a knife placed in a plastic bag with the words EVIDENCE, DO NOT TOUCH written on the bag. 

"GILBERT PLEASE COME BACK TO ME! PLEASE," I yell sobbing. Julie walks in and gives me a hug, saying reassuring words. I can't hear anything, I can't think straight. Every thought that I have is gone and I see words everywhere saying, "he's gone. It's your fault."

After a while, Julie leaves me because she is needed somewhere else. My chair was removed so I sit on the floor and lean against the wall. I feel anger, sadness and fear all balled up inside my stomach. Gilbert... he was stabbed by someone.

I call Diana.

"Anne? Where are you?" she asks in a tired voice, obviously she just woke up.

"I-I need you to bring my stuff to your house. I'll pick them up in the morning," I say, trying not to make her feel worried.

"Where did you go?" Diana asks.

"I can't tell you right now. I just need some time, but not away from just you, away from everyone," I say.

"Okay. I love you," she says.

"I love you too," I say and end the call. I begin crying again as the flashbacks come back to me about Gilbert. The times in class together, when I hit him over the head with my book, Josie's party. After I relive those memories, I decide that I can't leave Gilbert here and quit on him. I need to find who did this to him.

I rush to the lobby and I see a young woman sitting at the receptionist desk.

"Hello miss, how can I help you?" she asks.

"May I please look at who was here to visit Gilbert Blythe?" I ask politely. I feel tears forming in my eyes as I say his name out loud.

"U-um yes of course. Here," she responds and hands me a clipboard with the information of the past visitors from this morning or late last night. I check the last person to visit him was named Pinkie. Pinkie? Who could that be? I check the other information that Pinkie left and it has a message at the bottom.

It had to be done. - Pinkie  ♥ 

Pinkie stabbed Gilbert. But why? I take the paper with Pinkie's information and message on it and go to Gilbert's room.

I sit where I was before and begin speaking out loud, just like how I usually would to Gilbert after school,

"Hi, Gilbert. I know that you can't hear me, or see me, but I know that you are now watching me from above. You may not know this, but you were stabbed by someone named Pinkie. I don't know who Pinkie is, but I do know that he or she is a murderer who wanted revenge or something. I am truly sorry that I wasn't there before to protect you because maybe I could've done something to help you. I couldn't help you then, so I'll help you now. I promise that I will find out who did this to you, and they will pay for it. I love you, and I hope that we can reconnect in heaven and live the dreams that I have had of us," I begin crying after the mention of my dreams. 

I exit his room and look around one last time. I don't see anything else that could be evidence, so I exit the hospital and drive to the police station. 

I hope they can help me, I need them, and Gilbert needs me.

~~~~~~

Hey guys, I hope that you are doing well today. I'm sorry for what this story has become, but it will lead to something better. The connection of shirbert is still there, but there will just be no more shirbert scenes. Sorry :|

Make sure to check out my other book called Is This It? which does have Gilbert alive and well, but they're still separated. Damn these books just make me weaken shirbert. 

Please vote, comment, and check out my other book! K byeee <3