Prologue

The smell of sautéed onions and chicken wafted through the kitchen. Anastasia flipped through a cookbook looking for her grandmother's famous chicken soup recipe. The book itself contained all of her grandmother's best dishes and Anastasia couldn't begin to express how thankful she was to her grandmother for gifting her this book. Tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ears, she scanned through the pages until she finally found what she was looking for. She smiled down at the book, eager to get started. Tightening the strings on her tanned coloured apron, she opened a cupboard and pulled out a large pot, setting it on the stove. Grabbing the rest of the ingredients that she needed, she placed them neatly on the kitchen island and got started.

Anastasia stirred the soup, satisfied with the way it had turned out so far. There was just one last ingredient that she still had to add. Moving away from the pot, she walked over to her spice cabinet and grabbed the jar containing Lemon pepper. Walking back towards the stove, she took a pinch of Lemon pepper and sprinkled it inside the pot. She stirred the soup slowly in an anticlockwise motion. Looking down into the pot, she noticed that the soup had begun to take on a peculiar colour. She was sure that there wasn't supposed to be swirls that glowed unnaturally, and yet for some reason, her soup had orange glowing swirls that grew brighter and brighter by the second.

It all happened so fast, first, a blinding white light spilled out from inside the pot. Panicked, Anastasia moved to grab the fire extinguisher from beside the stove but was thrown off balance when the ground began to shake violently. Her cabinets rattled and their doors flew open, the contents falling to the ground with a loud crash, causing dust to rise up into the air. Then, a loud bang echoed through the kitchen causing her to shriek in fright.

As quickly as it had begun, the ground stopped shaking and everything went dead silent. With a huff, Anastasia grabbed onto the kitchen island and pulled herself to her feet. Looking around at her destroyed kitchen, she noticed strange markings on the floor, as if something had burned away at it, causing a circle with what looked like a pentagram in the centre, to form.

That wasn't the only strange thing in the middle of her kitchen. Standing in the centre of the pentagram was a devilishly handsome young man starring right at her. To say that Anastasia was freaked out, is an understatement.