Chapter twenty-six

Start from the beginning

"Sorry ma'am."

"First strike." Her eyes were warm despite her icy tone. She ushered them into the room, before turning to the crowd. "Listen up. I first want to thank all the volunteers that turned up today, and those who will continue to turn up for the rest of the assessment."

"Volunteers?" Kyra murmured.

"This is a part of our trimester assessment. We have to train volunteers to be equipped in case of a city-wide emergency." James' warm breath tickled her neck. "I'll train you, my friend will train Ethan."

"This training opportunity is important, as the president is planning to implement it by the end of the year - you'll be helping us refine our techniques, and make the city in general a happier, safer place. Alright, enough talking. Each student needs to take one volunteer and go to a designated training room. Any questions?" The instructor smiled and patted a pile of clipboards. "Get started, then."

James swiftly grabbed a clipboard off the stack and was out the door first, Kyra running behind. "Come on, we'll use training room two."

"What's the plan for today?" Kyra asked.

"The basics." His voice dropped to a whisper as he led her down various hallways each laden with white doors; people rushed around them, each in search of their own rooms. "The Commander told me to teach you to run and hide if someone comes within a ten-metre radius of you."

"Run and hide?" Kyra asked, her brows raised.

James shrugged. "I could have told you he doesn't care about you if you'd thought to ask. I think some in-depth self-defense training would be more helpful." He held open a door for her.

They entered a long, narrow room. Panels painted bright white lined the walls. The centre of the room was inlaid with a thick blue mat. At the far end were two rubber manikins, human-like arms and odd instruments attached to its base. As James approached the machines whirred to life, spinning as the arms scissored through the air.

Kyra's voice was saturated in amusement. "Is that a Reflexor?" They were used in schools and hospitals to test people's reflex rates; Kyra had always been a bit apprehensive, resulting in years of bruising she would never forget.

"The very same. Only now it doesn't only test reaction times. It's a bit more... aggressive, and kind of terrifying. Excited yet?" He grinned.

Kyra was ready to retort when James silenced her with a look.

"In dangerous situations, we have three responses: fight, flight or freeze. The latter isn't an option: it's suicide. The other two are. If, for example, someone is trying to take something from you, it's recommended you throw the object away from you and run in the other direction. Removing yourself from a risky situation is the best defence you have. However, sometimes that isn't possible. That's when fighting becomes important."

James started with the basics: hit their soft spots, the parts a person can't strengthen through training. The eyes, nose, ears, jaw, throat, groin, knees and Achilles tendons were all in the line of fire. She practiced slow, getting used to the feeling of her hands against the almost human like skin of the manikin. Kyra had never been good at fighting, though she'd spent years practicing at school. She'd always hated the thought of hurting someone - even if in the eyes of the law they deserved it. No one deserved that, not really.

"Use your elbow, yes that's... okay yes, good. Adjust your grip for maximum strength how I showed you. Keep doing that."

The machine moved slow enough that she had time to think before she moved. Still, the occasional limb swung out of nowhere, leaving her breathless. Kyra ducked as the mechanical arm swung towards her, and aimed another knee at the manikin's groin. As the manakin folded she thrust her elbow forward into its throat, tucking her fingers into a tighter fist. The rubber burned her skin, turning it red and raw, but she aimed hit after hit, not willing to take a break. Part of her felt sick - it was silenced by the part of her that wanted to keep hitting, again and again and again.

"Correct your posture and raise your arms, just like... that. Good." James stepped behind her to adjust her footing, his icy fingers grazing the skin exposed by her shirt. Tingles spread from the spot he touched. Kyra froze.

Pain spread from her cheek as she stumbled backwards, away from the mechanical arm – she hadn't seen it coming, nor expected the hit to pack a punch. A metallic taste filled her mouth as she raised a hand to her lip; it came away smeared with red.

James tossed her a bottle of water. "You've earned a break."

As he turned away from her she caught his arm, impulsively digging her nails into his skin.

"Yes?" His eyes were wide, cautious.

"Can you do something for me?" Kyra asked.

His eyes darted across her face before nodding. "Anything."

"Either act like you're apart of my life or you're not. Don't confuse me. I didn't know that was why you were upset, and if I had I would have asked for you to come with us. I already hate myself for hurting you, I can't have you hating me too. I don't think I can handle anything else going wrong."

James' lips parted as though he was going to reply but Kyra had already turned away, looking down as she clenched her stinging eyes shut. Not here, she thought, not now. The strength she'd felt the night before was long gone.

"This is a good start; our training sessions run for a month, so by the end of it you should have the basics learnt."

Kyra nodded, hoping - praying - a month of training would be enough to keep her alive. The odds were not in her favour. It didn't help that James wasn't either.

--- author's note ---

Hey everybody! How are you?

With only six (ish) chapters left, I've been getting more and more worried about the quality of my work. Any thoughts on ICYC are much appreciated!

I've been thinking about changing the title of this book for awhile. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Like always, thank you all for your support! It honestly means the world to me knowing people out there are taking the time to acknowledge my work. You guys are incredible.