Ch. 01

You set your bags by the bedroom door as you head out to visit your sister who was in her bedroom. You knocked on her pink decorated door before twisting the silver knob and slowly pushing it open. There you see your 17 year old sister, Aaliyah Ji Hyun Kim.

    Her ebony hair was being tied into a messy uneven bun before you. You smiled slightly as you shut the door behind you and walk over to your only sister and hug her from behind. It was an unexpected gesture for the both of you, but you wanted to express your love and gratitude for the youngest in the family.

"How long will you be in Seoul?"

"For about a month. I'll miss you Aaliyah. You know that right?"

    Your youngest sister nods her head and sighs, getting up from the chair and running to her closet to retrieve something of yours. You looked around her room with your eyes. Admiring the black and pink colors, the gray rug, the little decorations she had on her bedroom walls. It really was a BLINK bedroom.

"Here's your sweater Aryanna. I forgot to give it to you last week when I borrowed it."

    She pulls out the wooly gray long sleeved sweater, her hands gently caressing the fabrics while she held it out for you. You smiled and held the sweater in your hands, thanking her for returning what was yours. You didn't know she borrowed it from the beginning, you thought it was tucked away in your drawer.

"Just exactly when did you ever ask me to borrow my sweater Aaliyah?"

    You gave a smug smile at your sister who shifted from her left heel to her right. Her cheeks turning a slight tinted pink. She avoided your eyes by looking down at her black socks while her hands played with the hem of her dark t-shirt.

"Alright. So I stole your sweater but I had a good reason!"

"And what was that reason?"

    You chuckled afterwards, sitting down on her twin sized bed. You put on your favored sweater and hummed in delight. Seconds after, you can feel the warmth literally hugging your body and you remembered why this was always your favorite sweater. Not only did your grandmother make it for you, but it also acted like an emergency blanket. Or at least it felt like one when you wore it.

"I was cold and... I didn't have any clean sweaters so I took yours when you went out shopping with Emmet and Tyler. I hope you forgive me?"

     You smiled and nodded.

"I forgive you silly. So what you borrowed it? You were cold. Do you want to help me pack today?"

"Right." Aaliyah says in a sad tone. "You leave tomorrow for Seoul."

    You can see the sadness take over her young face. Her shoulders dropped as did yours.

"You know I have to take care of halmeoni* Aaliyah. I'll be back before you know it."

    You gave a soft small smile in hopes she'll return one to you. You looked at her and she forces one as her eyes locked with yours. This made you frown and pat the empty side of the bed for her to sit. She saunters beside you and let out a sigh.

"How long will you be gone?"

"It'll only be a month Aaliyah. Don't worry so much. I'll call you twice a week and I'll even send you your favorite snacks."

    With that mentioned, your sisters shoulders perked up and she sat upright.

"Can you send me some extra ppaeppaero*? Ooh and a BLACKPINK album that's signed? I'll give you mine so when you ever go to their fan sign event, they can sign it!"

    You can hear the rising excitement in her voice and you chuckled. Glad to know that her blue state had been replaced by happiness. She ran over to her BLACKPINK collection on top of her drawer and pulled out a BLACKPINK album from their first year.

"I know this is from their debut year, but it was all mom could buy me. You think they'll sign it?"

   She hands you her album and you smile. Flipping through the small book filled with photos of her beloved idols.

"Of course they'll sign it. While I'm there, I'll even buy you BP Merch for your birthday. Speaking of birthday, are you excited to become an adult?"

"Hell yeah! I'm finally going to become a legal adult! I can finally go out and go into the movie theatres without you or mom! And what kind of Merch are you buying me?"

    Your sister claps her hands and jumps in place.

"Are you going to buy me a lightstick? A Rosé sweater? Photo cards even?"

"Calm down Aaliyah." You chuckle. "It's going to be a surprise. Now, come help me pack for my trip tomorrow. Maybe I can leave you somethings to wear."

"Ooh what fun!"

    Aaliyah says before pulling you by your arm and dragging you out of her bedroom. You both laughed and entered your plainly decorated room. Compared to hers, yours was mostly a grayish white aesthetic. You had silver lights lining the edges of the ceiling. Your walls were left bare but did have some stickers stuck to them.

    Some being Got7, some being just random cartoonish stickers. Unlike Aaliyah's, your room was less colorful and hardly a kpop fan's bedroom. Beginning of the year, you wanted to do a makeover for your room but you got lazy and just left your decorations in the small closet just left of you and your sister.

    Your floors were covered with wrappers and some flakes from your pencil when you were sketching on your bed. You grabbed the hand held vacuum from your closet and turned it on while your sister began folding your clothes after you had asked her to do so.

"Do you think Dad will be glad to see you? The last time he saw us there, he was pretty mad."

    You were hoping the loud drone from the vacuum would drown out the question but it didn't work. You sighed and shut it off, placing it back into the same old spot in the closet. You gave Aaliyah a displeased look in which she apologized for.

"I just... why doesn't dad want to see us? Why does he hate us? We're his kids."

"Just don't talk about that lowlife father of ours. Mom's better off without him, and so are we."

"Okay."

    You both finish packing your things, you saw how sullen your sister was after bringing up your guys' dad. Aaliyah was only 15 at the time, and you just turned 20. That day, your parents had a huge argument of who stays with who after their divorce was finalized. Your dad chose Aaliyah to live with him back at his hometown but your mom refused and said she wanted both girls to stay with her.

"I wish mom and dad were together again."

"Same here Aryanna. It isn't the same after they divorced."

    You both laid in your bed, staring at the ceiling.

"But they used to always fight. Everyone knew about it. I think it was the right choice mom made you know."

    You laid on your side as you took in a deep breath.

"If they loved each other like they used to, they would have still been together."

    Aaliyah said. You disagreed with her on this one.

"No. If dad hadn't cheated on mom, four times, then they would have been together and they wouldn't have always argued about it."

    Aaliyah saw your point and sat up then walked out without saying a word. You followed her but stood before her door before it slammed shut. She was upset. You sighed and refrained from knocking on her door. You turned your heels and just walked back to your bedroom before shutting your door and looking for your passport and plane ticket.

"I hope my stay in Seoul is a good one."

○○○○

할머니 : halmeoni : Grandma

빼빼로 : ppaeppaero/pepero : a biscuit stick dipped in chocolate.
(Comes in a variety of dipped flavors)