Chapter 25: Striking

Começar do início

Of course. She was thinking of attacking Elbaite so Dravite would follow her.

I took that chance to run behind more of the trees and get myself behind Dravite and Elbaite. They slowly approached Peridot, growling fiercely. They began to get dangerously close to her. I knew I would have to strike soon, or else it would be too late. I clenched the knife close to my chest. This was crazy. I wasn't nearly brave enough to do this, nor did I have the courage to make the impulsive decision I had made months before. I didn't understand how I had done that to Jasper, despite her being a terrible person.

How did I do it?

I looked back at Peridot. She was visibly panicked. Dravite and Elbaite were getting closer to her, and I wasn't doing my part. I took one quiet step forward, and more panic swept through me. I couldn't do it. I knew I couldn't. We were all going to die. I looked away, trying to keep my mind off of my impending death.

First, it will be Peridot. Then it will be me.

I held the knife to my chest again. It was my only defense. It was my only attack too.

"Lapis," I whispered to myself. "You have to do this. You have to go along with the plan. If you don't, we're going to lose. You can't stand here like this."

I growled at myself. I didn't know why I had so little courage. I looked back at Peridot once more to check on her. She was in front of a tree with Dravite and Elbaite coming right at her. They were grinning eerily. I knew as well as they did that Topaz would be very happy with them, but I sure wasn't. No one could hurt Peridot. No one could.

I began to feel furious. Anger bubbles up inside me, and I snarled. I ran out from behind the tree, running faster than I'd ever run before. I ran up behind Dravite with the knife held above my head. Then I swung it forward. A clean cut to her shoulder. Dravite, just as Peridot predicted, was shocked. Peridot immediately took the chance to dismantle the rest of her. Before she could get far, Elbaite was after her. Peridot stopped her attack on Dravite to take down Elbaite, which, luckily, was successful. Then Peridot quickly got rid of both vampires in a large fire and returned to me with a prideful smile on her face.

"You did it!" She exclaimed, wrapping her arms around me. She lifted me up off of the ground, grinning. "I'm so proud of you!"

"Peri!" I shouted, laughing.

She set me down and kissed my cheek. I only smiled and twirled my hair. Peridot's expression suddenly turned confused, and she looked around.

"Hypersthene," she hissed. "I can't see. Lapis, this is up to you."

I looked back. Peridot was right. There, with her pitch black hair, was Hypersthene. She was growling. She had seen the deaths of her companions, I knew. She approached me rapidly, trying to use Peridot's weakness against me. She was right in front of me, and she snarled. Right as her hand came towards my face, I forced my knife into her arm. I was just in time. The sight of an arm without a body was quite disturbing, but there were more important things than that at the moment.

I glanced towards Hypersthene's face as she gasped in reaction to her missing arm. Peridot still couldn't see. It was my job to get rid of her. I stabbed her again, this time, near the chest. I hated that she was doing this to Peridot. I hated that she was taking away what should have been a semi-normal life for me. I didn't want vampires anymore.

I continued to attack her until Peridot came up to me and grabbed my shoulder. I looked back at her. I could tell that the blindness was no longer affecting her.

"My stars," she said. "You took care of that vampire by yourself!"

I nodded. "She was making you blind," I responded. "And ruining our date night schedule."