Chapter 14: Close Victory

The world slowed down. I saw it. Lapis was falling. Falling down. I felt more fury and more strength than I had ever felt before. I grabbed the ankle of the vampire that had stepped on me and threw it away. Then I jumped up and ran. I shoved my way through the dense crowd of vampires until the only thing in front of me was Lapis. She hadn't reached the ground yet. I still had time. I jumped forward and grabbed her, placing my hand on the back of her head. Then I pushed all of my weight forward to make sure she was on top of me. Then we hit the ground. My head and back hit the ground, but Lapis didn't hit it at all. I was successful. The force of the fall caused us to roll forward, so, as soon as I got the chance, I slowed us down and pushed Lapis onto flat ground. I landed next to her, laying down. I quickly sat up and leaned over Lapis to examine her.

"Lapis, are you okay?!" I asked.

She looked straight at me. "I'm fine. How am I still alive?" She asked.

I almost smiled. "I saved you," I answered. "I saw you falling and came running."

"You escaped that vampire?!" Lapis asked, her eyes widening.

I nodded. "I had to. Otherwise, you'd be dead," I answered.

"...you really love me...don't you?" Lapis whispered.

"Like there's no tomorrow," I replied.

Lapis leaned in and pressed her lips against mine. I leaned closer to her and returned the kiss. In the middle of it, I heard the sound of footsteps. A lot of them. I pulled away from Lapis and looked back.

"They're retreating," I said.

Before Lapis could respond, I picked her up and ran around the stampeding vampires. The only reason we won that battle was luck. I was sure. There's no possible other reason that the vampires could be retreating like this when they had been so easily taking us down. I ran until I had gotten Lapis and I to the border of the beach and the forest. There, the rest of the pack was waiting for us. They looked exhausted. I felt exhausted. I hadn't expected to have so much trouble winning.

"Lapis is safe. Now, we return home." I looked at Lapis, who was looking at me. "And then we'll talk about these vampires."

She nodded. "I know a lot about them," she said.

"Good," I replied. "Then let's go home."

The pack and I walked back to my house. We all walked inside, where we were greeted by my worried mother.

"Oh my stars!" She shouted. "Look at yourselves! What happened?!"

"Turns out the vampires were a little more advanced than we thought," I replied, placing Lapis down.

"You're all scratched up and bruised!" Mom cried. "You really got beat up!"

"I took a bad hit from a vampire," I said. "Hit me right from the side and knocked me over. Not to mention rolling across the ground to save Lapis's life."

"You need to take a shower," Mom replied. "And the rest of you need to get to your homes and do the same."

I took Lapis's hand and took her upstairs while the rest of the pack left. I took her to my room and had her sit down on my bed.

"I'm gonna take a shower," I said. "I'll be back in a little bit."

Lapis nodded. I turned around and walked to my bathroom. I turned on the shower and waited for the water to heat up. As soon as it was warm, I stepped in. I began to think about earlier. For some reason, I had gotten pissed at her when she accused me of being able to hurt her. At first, I felt guilty. I was sorry. Then I was angry. I didn't think she was right. What had gotten into me?