Chapter 1: Part 5 (Oscellia)

Noel reached the city by noon, his legs slightly weary from the morning's travel. Without much information, he found himself in need of answers and decided to pay a visit to Town Hall. As he made his way across the cobblestone streets, he noticed the town seemed unlively compared to the recent towns of his travel. There was an eerie sense that something was wrong, yet he couldn't place it.

In the corner of his eye, he caught sight of the elf he encountered from the previous night. She was walking alongside a companion that appeared to be of elven ancestry as well. They began walking faster, almost as if they were being chased by an imaginary foe. Noel raised his eyebrow and glanced at his surroundings. There was nothing out of the ordinary. Odd, he thought to himself.

After asking for directions, Noel walked to the north-eastern side of the city and found Town Hall. The elf and her friend were in close proximity, walking into a building not far from that of Noel's own. Pushing his way through the wooden door, he walked inside. There was a young woman sitting behind a wooden desk near the door. She gave Noel a skeptical look, staring into his crimson eyes with not a look of fear but wariness, nonetheless.

"Welcome," she said. "How may I help you today?"

Noel bladed his stance toward the woman and relaxed his shoulders. "I've heard a few rumors in town of harpy attacks? I was wondering if the militia needed any help."

The woman shuffled a few pieces of paper and stacked them on the corner of her desk. "The harpies have been somewhat of a problem as of late. We hired a few mercenaries to take care of them a week ago, but we haven't heard anything from them since."

Noel furrowed his brow in contemplation. "I see," he mumbled.

"If you're interested, one of them was injured and couldn't go. I believe he's staying in the Crossfield inn. His name is Lyle," the woman continued. "But look, you can help if you want to, and we'll pay you for your services if you're able to make a difference, but we can't be held liable for strangers losing their lives in the mountains."

"Thanks," Noel said, disregarding her candid behavior. He left the building and proceeded outside with a new goal in mind. Let's see what this Lyle knows.