Chapter 1: Part 4 (Oscellia)

"I was hoping that you may be able to help me find something," Rhea began as she reached into her bag. She raised the end of a broken string into the air. "One of the strings on my viol snapped the other day as I was playing. Do y-" the gnome placed a bag of bread onto the counter. Rhea hesitated. "-ou have any viol strings?" she finished. The gnome set a small slab of meat next to the bag of bread and cut a slice of the meat from its end before sliding it between two slices of bread. He raised the sandwich to his mouth and started eating. Briellt was perusing the wares of the store, but she glanced upward at the sudden silence. The gnome continued to eat his sandwich without saying a word. Rhea cleared her throat. "Viol strings," she repeated. "Do you have any?"

"Ah..." the gnome said, his mouth full of food. "One moment please." He awkwardly hobbled down from his seat and disappeared into the back of the store. Rhea placed her hand upon the surface of the wooden counter and lowered her gaze. Without being able to play her viol, she felt empty, void of solace. It was as if a part of her were taken away, as if she had lost her own hand instead. She tapped her fingers impatiently along the counter's surface as she awaited the gnome's return.

After a few minutes, the gnome returned whilst carrying an old box. He climbed back into his chair and set the box on the table. "This might be it," the gnome muttered to himself. Carefully opening the lid, the gnome retrieved a piece of lettuce from the box and placed it in his sandwich before taking another bite. Rhea stared dumbfoundedly at the small humanoid, contemplating how difficult it might be to simply knock the tiny creature unconscious and search the back of the store herself. She loudly cleared her throat.

The gnome jumped in surprise. "Oh! Yes, of course. Viol strings," he said. By this point, Briellt had long since stopped searching for wares and was staring at the gnome with a slightly less hostile look than that of Rhea.

"Yes, viol strings," Rhea said through her teeth, losing composure. The gnome continued to eat his sandwich, occasionally dropping pieces of food on the floor. After he was finished, he rose from his seat and went to the back of the building once more.

Briellt gave Rhea an unspoken look, almost to ask: Should we just leave?

Rhea met her gaze with cold, dead eyes as if her reply said: I've come too far.

After an uncomfortably long time, the gnome returned with another box. He wiped the dust from its lid and opened the box. There was an assortment of various strings sporadically lined throughout the inside. "Hmmm," the gnome said. "Here we are! Now, for the cost."

Slamming five gold pieces on the counter, Rhea took the box and slid it into her satchel without waiting for the gnome's reply. She stomped across the room and made her way toward the door without looking back. Briellt quickly followed after her newfound companion. She could hear the sound of a bag rustling behind her as the gnome started making another sandwich.