Chapter 5 - What's a Leska?

The warrior frowned slightly and then shook his fist at Kingie, "For giving away secrets I am going to challenge you to spar with me boy." A grin crossed his face as he slowly walked over to where Crystal was sitting and squatted down, "It is good to see you laugh and smile. I know it won't last very long but keep looking for humor and it will help." He was a light tan color and had the wider ears of a highlander. One finger stroked her cheek, "He is right though. You are a little fighter and we are going to talk to Senior Warrior Vangie about having some type of shoulder flash made. I would love to introduce you to my family as well. Show them the strength and courage a young female human who has come through this."

Crystal was looking shocked when he said that and tentatively sat up and wrapped her arms around him, "I didn't realize that at all. Right now, almost anything will make me twitch and I have to force myself not to scream."

He returned the hug and pressed a kiss to her forehead, "We know that you have been having a really hard time dealing with males so we were keeping our distance. Right now, I can tell you that there isn't a warrior aboard any of the vessels that wouldn't lay down their lives to protect any of you."

Beryl became serious, "We did have one warrior killed during boarding. When we give him last rights if you think you can deal with it we would like you and some of the other women front and center. I think he would like that, having the women he helped save helping to honor his memory."

Crystal looked shocked since she hadn't realized that anyone other than pirates had died. She started crying again, "I am so sorry you lost a fellow warrior." It was hard to hear through her tears but they made out enough of it, "I think we would all be honored. Would it be possible to send a message to his family?"

Beryl smiled at her, "Of course it would be okay. It would be more than okay and I know they would appreciate it. Notes like that won't get rid of the loss of a loved one but it will let them know he didn't die in vain. Now it is time to have some real food and not the broth you have been slurping down by the gallon."

They helped to the table and all three ladies were almost drooling as the scent hit them, "Oh my, I might not want to go home if they keep feeding us like this." Savanna took a bite and smiled as she chewed it, "Oh lordy that is good."

Z'Marl snickered, "I would invite you home for a real home cooked meal but there are connotations you wouldn't know about."

Sally almost choked at that and smacked her lightly, "God that was horrible you silly Sholan. What did I ever deserve to have to deal with the likes of you?" It was a pretend whine before she started snickering.

Savanna looked blank at that and Sally explained, "When a Sholan invites you over for a home cooked meal they are inviting you to spend time with them." She snickered slightly, "In this case she would just cook a good meal and nothing else. She was just seeing if she could make me choke on my food."

The three ladies started at the two of them and then sort of smiled, "I am so confused... Why can't we all just get along?" Angel wailed and pretended to start crying. Right about then an alert was passed letting them know they were dropping out of hyper and into the Terran space.

Satasha stood up, "I am going to talk to Doctor Jusdean about a few things. I will be back eventually." She left the room and leaned against the wall and took several slow breaths. Over the last few days she had also started feeling sort of ill but had hidden it from the women. She hadn't hidden it from Sally though and even she was worried for her.

The warrior outside the door took one look at her and called for a replacement to come and relieve him, "Satasha you look like crap. I am going to escort you too medical and if you argue I will toss you over a shoulder." He was next to her by now and was doing a quick check and he thanked Vartra that all Brothers were trained as paramedics. They served under the head of the cult of Vartra as a lay-Brother as well as being trained as special forces. He had been assigned to the first contact team as a Warrior and not as a Brother. It allowed him to see things he otherwise might not.