Misunderstandings & Gunshots

Start from the beginning

"FRIDAY, get us to medical," Natasha demanded, practically holding Steve up on her own inside Tony's private elevator.

"Would you like me to contact Mr. Stark as well?" FRIDAY asked. Natasha glanced down at Sarah who was crying as if she was the one shot.

"Yes," she replied. Someone needed to watch Sarah while Natasha stayed with Steve. Hopefully, Morgan would be around so the two girls could play, but Tony would do fine at distracting Sarah if not.

When the elevator doors opened, medical staff were waiting with a stretcher just a few steps away. They rushed to pick Steve up and put him on the gurney before running him down the hall. Natasha tried to follow, but a few doctors stopped her. Before she could kill them all, someone grabbed her from behind.

"Hey, Red," Tony said, pulling her away from the doctors kicking and screaming. Natasha spun around and glared at him, but he didn't let up. "How about you tell me what happened?"

"Steve was shot," she said blankly. Tony seemed shocked for a few seconds before recovering. "It wasn't even on his stupid mission. He was shot coming home and now he's probably going to die because I couldn't get him here soon enough and—"

"Alright, time out," Tony interrupted.

Natasha furiously wiped at her face, trying to erase the tears that had managed to appear while her guard was down. She ended up smearing Steve's blood across her cheek and looked down at her bloodstained hands.

"Mama?" Sarah whimpered. Tony's eyes widened as he turned to see Sarah, not having spotted her before.

"Kid? Did you—You know what, let's go upstairs and wait for Steve to come out of surgery, alright?" Tony suggested, wrapping an arm around Sarah's shoulders.

She clung to his leg tightly so he reached down and picked her up. He held Sarah up with one arm and she wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in his shoulder. He used his other arm to wrap around Natasha and guide her back into the elevator.

"Morgan's here," he said softly on the ride up to the penthouse. "She just got back from a sleepover, but I'm sure she'd love to play with you, Sarah. Does that sound fun?"

Sarah shook her head, keeping her face buried and Tony removed his arm from around Natasha to rub her back.

"What sounds fun?" he asked.

"I just want Daddy," Sarah cried, her words hard to understand with her face buried. Tony still understood her, though, and sighed as the elevator doors opened.

"Daddy is going to be perfectly fine," Tony assured her, walking out of the elevator. Natasha followed him numbly and he guided her to the couch to sit down. He sat down beside her with Sarah in his lap and looked at her tear stained face. "How about this, you and Morgan can play a game or watch a movie and I'll make sure Daddy is okay, alright?"

"Okay," Sarah said. Tony stood back up and set Sarah on the couch beside Natasha, telling them he'd go get Morgan then walking down the hall to her room.

"Morgan?" he asked, knocking on her door.

"It's open," Morgan yelled from inside. Tony opened the door and walked into her room, softly shutting the door behind him. Morgan looked up from her tablet and grinned when she saw her dad standing in front of her.

"Would you mind playing with Sarah for a while?" Tony asked. Morgan shook her head and sat up, locking her tablet and putting it away.

"Sure," she answered. "I didn't know she was coming by today."