06 | seeing red

Comincia dall'inizio

Ponyboy's eyes are still lowered, but his cheeks are red again. He lowers the switchblade down in embarrassment as Lauretta and Wayde are still frozen in fright. Once Lauretta and Wayde have recovered and go back to conducting the experiment, Ponyboy slowly picks up the switchblade again. He starts to dissect the frog and once he has finished, Billie hands him a tissue to clean his switchblade.

"Thank you," Ponyboy mumbles, washing and drying his switchblade before putting it back in his jacket pocket. Billie gives him a small smile in reply.

The bell rings, signalling the end of class and Billie gets up, placing her books and stationary into her backpack. She goes to walk out of the classroom when she hears her name being called. She turns around to see Ponyboy walking towards her, one hand on his backpack strap.

"Happy birthday, for Saturday," Ponyboy tells Billie, shyly. "Wish Curly a happy birthday from me, also," he adds.

Billie smiles at Ponyboy. "Thanks, Ponyboy. I will."

Billie closes her book and puts it into her bag as she stands up

Billie closes her book and puts it into her bag as she stands up. She dusts off dirt from her legs before putting her rubbish in the bin. She knows that lunch will end soon and wants to beat the rush of students getting to class.

She hoists her backpack onto her shoulder and walks off in the direction of her next class. She tramples on the grass as she leaves her spot behind the cafeteria. She found this secluded spot after the cafeteria incident with the Soc senior and has sat there ever since. Billie can read her book without any disturbances and best of all, nobody can see her, which means that she won't have all eyes on her as she does when she walks to class and when she is in class.

She walks past the cafeteria, the large double doors wide open. The cafeteria is always loud; students talking over one another in an attempt to drown out the noise of the other students as they talk about the latest gossip on the high school rumour mill. However, the cafeteria is louder than it normally is.

Billie gets the sense that something isn't right, and before she knows what is happening, she steps inside the cafeteria.

In the centre of the cafeteria, Billie can see five Soc boys ganging up on a dark-haired Greaser girl. The girl has her fists clenched tightly as she yells at the Soc boys, who are laughing in her face. All around them, people are cheering them on. Billie feels disgusted that people are cheering on the fight instead of stopping it.

The Soc in the middle says something that Billie can't quite make out, but it enrages the girl even more. Her fists start flying angrily and the blonde Soc who spoke looks frightened before masking his fright.

"Fuck you, you piece of shit!" the girl yells, taking several steps forward so that they were hardly any space between her and the offending Soc.

"Hey -" a redheaded girl stands up abruptly from her seat.