Prologue

He watched from across the road as the girl said her goodbyes to the staff at the hospital and walked through the car pack to her old beaten up red Cadillac. She sighed heavily and he froze as her eyes scanned the treeline not far from where he was hiding. She shrugged to herself and started to hum an unfamiliar tune as she sat down in the old cracked leather seat, started the car and drove away into the night with loud alternative music blaring as she did so.

Swathed in black material he smirked to himself and followed suit, tailing the car at a safe distance as he mimicked every turn and swerve she took. When he got home he would find out what music it was that she had been listening to, learning every lyric and rhythm just so he could feel closer to her.

He watched as the car ahead parked outside a Victorian terraced house. Luckily for him London streets were often hectic which meant he would be hidden amongst a number of other anonymous cars. Never standing out from the crowd - that was important. He watched as she walked into the house and hung her coat up then hurried past her parents, not bothering to say hello and them not acknowledging her as they laughed along with whatever comedy show they were watching.

Like a ghost, she moved through the house as she went about getting ready for bed, her ear phones went in and he peered through the windshield of his car and felt his heart go out for her when tears started streaming down her face unchecked, writing away madly into what he could only presume was her diary. He needed to get a hold of that diary; it was the only way he’d truly know her better than anyone else.

When her bedroom light went out he started his car and drove away, to his own home. On the edge of the forest sat a bungalow painted cargo green and brown. As he entered he smiled happily and without hesitating strode over to his latest project.

The wall was crowded with pictures taken from various places and times. Thousands of faces looked back down at him and his grin widened when he added the new shots to his collection. The shy girl gazed back at him in a daydream as she sat on the floor of the library staring into the distance. She hadn’t even noticed him taking the shot and touching her face he compared it to the one next to it.

It was equally as beautiful but where Sookie had a shy and doe like beauty, hers was more striking. The girls deep brown hair flowed down her back in a shiny waterfall and her eyes glittered knowingly as she stared into the camera.

They were after all his new obsessions.