Break In

I stared at it for a couple of minutes as the memory flashed in the back of my mind.

"There you go" Sarah said as she put a small USB in my palm before we were leaving the mansion. I stare at her with confusion.

"What's in it?" I asked as I twisted it between my fingers.

"All of the videos from our adventures. Well - not all of them but Ryan and I made a compilation for your birthday. I couldn't wait  for that long. So, I decided to give it to you the moment it was finished" she said causing my heart to warm up and break at the same time.

I smiled weakly "I know you'll get sad after watching this but hey! It was the best time the three of us in our lives. Watch this and don't pity yourself for how things are now. I'm sure in a few years you'll get the life you were robbed of by fate" she paused for a minute and said "It has the whole almost arrest thing back in Malaysia in it too"

I looked up at her with a teary gaze and faked a gasp "Oh no!" I chuckle my voice broke a little.

I hug her tightly and say "What if things do go back the way they were and I don't want that anymore?" I pull away and found Rhys and Alex leaning against his car talking. They both stared at Sarah and I before I caught them.

"It's your choice if you want to or not. Only yours. If you don't want the old life and are satisfied with the current one in the future? Your choice. Don't think that just because things are back the way they were. You are not obliged to go back to it" I nod in agreement and sniff back tears.

"Are you gonna watch this?" She added with nervousness.

"Of course! Of course I will!" I say as I hug her again.

Right now I stand before the television screen debating to turn the video on or not.

Stupid thoughts.
Stupid memories.
Stupid reality.

I sigh before clicking the video on. It was night time and I was alone.

It was Mrs Holt's fashion show tonight so, Rhys was attending that and I decided to have some time for myself.

The video played and my heart clenched with nostalgia. The video was of Sarah and I. Both of us were running with our hands entwined together as we laughed admiring the streets of Rome.

It was 2013, mid of July. We had just finished our third semester. Ryan, Sarah and I were the trio travelling in the summer. Sometimes Ridge would tag along too.

I noticed how happy the girl with red hair who admired the stone walls of the ancient city like Rome. Who thought that this was it. This was her life.

Ever had this feeling, when you drift off into your thoughts so much that everything just turns quite and all you hear are the smallest things? Just now I was in that haze, the sound of the wind hitting the glass windows mellowed into the living room. The lights were turned off and the television only lightened the room.

Suddenly, the temperature of the room turned chilly and I snapped out of my trance and looked up at the TV. The video still played and I cursed out loud because I missed some of it. Reversing it back to the moment I wanted it to be I pressed play and watched it again.