Ridge

I looked out of the window and saw the morning rays covering me like a blanket making a sharpened shadow behind me. I saw our gardener grooming the small orchid of roses and tulips.

I, myself liked gardening but I never got a chance to fully give my attention to the plants. Due to my hectic studies. But now my semester break started in a week and after three months we'll have our month of further classes, then finals to graduation.

Today was special. For two reasons but for only one of them I was actually looking forward to.

  Ashley and I weren't the only children, our parents had. We had a brother.

Well - step brother to me with a brotherly love.

  Ridge Stark.

  He was a soldier in the US army. He was my Captain America. The hope he came in my life with. And not only that but he was the only one in our small family of five, in which others were too busy in their lives; he was the one who actually gave me the love I thought I deserved. Ridge was always there for me and Ashley.

  He was a couple years older than us and rarely came home because of his duties. Dad wanted Ridge to go for his business but Ridge wanted to serve his country.

So today Ridge was coming home.

  Secondly, the Holt family was coming to our house. So naturally, mother wanted everything to be perfect because "first impressions matter" and we wanted - them not me - to show the Holts that we are their equal.

  Both the parties thought it was better if the "future couple" should meet each other to know where both of them lay in each others eyes.

  My heart broke on the inside when I realised that Rhys Holt didn't reject me. A normal girl would have been devastated if a guy like Rhys Holt rejected them. In my case I would be jumping with happiness - not literally because of my condition - I would have felt that way.

  There was a knock on my door and I mumbled a permission. The door flung open and revealed a gleaming Sarah.

  Oh did I forget to mention? No, my life isn't spent in isolation and dread of what it has turned into or is turning into. Another piece of my life;  apart of the family drama, studies and Ashley's constant infamous scandals. Another person is a part of it. Sarah Parker.

We have been besties since high school.

  There is nothing much for you to know about Sarah. Because that girl still seems like a mystery to me.

  I was the outdoor freak and she was a queen of her own Kingdom.

  I looked at the bags she held in her hand and scratched my forearm and tired to hush a groan. But failed because I knew I made a face that is responsible for her reaction.

  "Oh come on Avery! I know your life is going extremely downhill but it doesn't mean that you have to look like a hobo while you go through your "trial marrige" " I rolled my eyes at her, according to Sarah this one-year marrige is an opportunity for me to know of I would want to settle with someone in future also "a year with the hottest man in GQ" would be amazing.  Maybe Rhys Holt wasn't as bad as the tabloids mortared him to be. Her words not mine. Because me on the other hand didn't want to think if things would actually turn out to be good.

  "Mom sent you. Didn't she?" I changed the topic and luckily she bought it.

  Sarah was a wizard when it came to makeup and styling. Mom knew her talent so she mostly asked her to get me prepared. From homecoming to prom. Every single event.

  "Yup. Mrs Stark personally invited  me to come here for dinner with your future in laws...and your brother. By the way when is Ridge coming?" She put the things down on my bed and walked towards me