Untitled Part 17

The group gathered in a tight circle going over their plan. The temperature had dropped the night before and it was going to be a chilly endeavor without accounting for the ghosts. There were only seven of them altogether, most of the guild members had opted to stay home instead. Nick and Gavin were ready to summon it was decided that Gavin would go first

They did make a last-minute adjustment and all piled into the SUV. It was cramped but they could keep it warm and Patrick could easily wrap a shield around it. There had been a couple odd looks at Kaleth but no one had asked about his display at the meeting the week before. Kaleth had managed to avoid any further conversation on the topic with Alexa but he hadn't gotten his chance to speak with her alone or go for a flight where they had been so busy with the preparation for this summoning.

Gavin sat cross legged in the trunk space reviewing the spell one last time. Pitch was hunched next to him. Patrick sat in shotgun ready to produce his shield, Logan was in the driver's seat as it was his SUV. Nik, Alexa, Kaleth sat in the back seat with ready to defend against attacks. Gavin had chosen another younger girl; the one Pitch had first tried to move and had attacked him. Everyone nodded in agreement and Pitch did the same thing he'd done with Kit, but this time with a spirit Gavin had chosen.

Patrick chanted out the shield spell and Pitch returned a few moments later with the chosen spirit and a loud shriek. He was quick to release this spirit and back away as Gavin started the spell. Wind whipped through the car like they were on the highway with all their windows down. The spirit didn't have room to really back out of Gavin's reach but he didn't grab for her. The car rocked and something heavy plowed into the shield wrapped around it. Kaleth quickly rolled down the window and shot a burst of flame at the offending spirit. Gavin finished the chant and was talking to the spirit quietly. Much as Patrick had but this spirit seemed less inclined to join him. It had yet to try to harm him.

Pitch was only half focused on the pair as another spirit approached from the rear hatch crashing into the back of the car and pushing it several feet forward. Pitch vanished from inside the car and grabbed that spirit, spinning it back towards the factory in hopes of confusing it before appearing back in the relative safety of the car. The wind was still howling but the spirit didn't look nearly as defensive. Pitch hunkered down in the car shivering a bit. All the noise and bitter cold reminded him too much of the night he'd had to kill Ramona and Alistair, not his fondest memory.

Something changed and he lifted his head to see the spirit in the car fading. The wind whistling through the car died down a bit and Pitch couldn't see her reappear. Gavin bent down with a huge grin on his face and picked up an insect of some kind. Pitch looked closer, he could see it was a scorpion.

Pitch turned to the others in the vehicle seeing if they wanted to go on with the next summoning. The car rocked again and everyone nodded. When Gavin was done his binding, Pitch helped he and Nik trade places and prepared for the next barrage. Nik had argued for the angry male spirit. They cautiously agreed and Pitch mentally prepared himself for whatever this spirit threw at him when he moved it.

Pitch vanished from the car back out into the cold to find Nik's spirit. It wasn't one of the ones surrounding the car, so he quickly moved towards the factory. He didn't see any sign of the two boss ghosts but was sure thy were watching for him. He found the confused angry ghost still in the same spot which he found odd. It seemed less aware of its surroundings than the others and he hoped that meant it would be easier to tame. He approached it quickly and silently and moved it out of there as quickly as he could. He released the ghost as soon as they were in the car. It roared a huge bellow and Pitch gritted his teeth, hoping Nik hadn't made a stupid decision. There was a hiss as the ghost struck out at Nik and who let out a little grunt before starting to chant.