Untitled Part 16

Alexa flopped onto the bed. Kaleth took the daybed and Pitch stretched out on the floor in his human form. If he'd been in cat form, he would have likely taken the bed with Alexa but he wanted to have a voice in this conversation. After a few minutes of silence, Alexa cleared her throat.

"So, what was that?" she asked. Pitch kept his eyes closed as he listened closely. Kaleth didn't reply immediately, Pitch wondered what the dragon thought about. Obviously, he had a reason for doing it, Pitch would never call the dragon foolish.

"She was insulting you, I couldn't stand by and allow it." He said quietly. Pitch rolled over onto his stomach and opened his eyes. The dragon had lost his temper, that was no surprise, but that he'd ignored Alexa's direct orders until she was physically touching him, bothered Pitch.

"It doesn't matter what she thinks. She's just petty and not worth it." She said. The dragon was sheepish and agreed with her quietly.

"Why would your wings and tail show up?" She asked. Kaleth closed his eyes and turned to look away from her.

"I wasn't focused on keeping them hidden. I'll be more careful not to lose my focus again." He said, trying to end the conversation there. Pitch could see the set of his shoulders. Shame and regret were clear but he wasn't sure Alexa could see it. It wasn't something he could ever remember the dragon expressing. Alexa didn't drop it there.

"Would you have hurt her had I not stopped you?" She asked, a little bit of worry or maybe fear in her voice. Kaleth lowered his head to rest face down one the arm of the daybed. He mumbled something unintelligible even to Pitch's sensitive cat hearing.

"What?" Alexa asked, obviously having trouble making it out too. Kaleth lifted his head slightly.

"I don't know!" he said sharply, before plunking his face back down. Alexa was quiet for a moment thinking. Pitch contemplated too. Why would this bother the dragon so much? He'd done far worse in his day than frighten some teenage girl. Pitch watched Alexa for a second and it dawned on him. Kaleth was worried about pushing her away from him. Pitch had noticed a lot of little differences between the two since the fight with Alistair. Alexa was a bit warier of Kaleth. She didn't drive him off but held him at a distance and he didn't think she even realized it. Kaleth on the other hand had clearly been doing everything he could to change that. From being completely non-threatening in every way he could, to even doing favors for Pitch and Patrick that she didn't request. Patrick seemed completely comfortable with Kaleth now.

"Do you miss that stuff, helping Alistair?" she asked quietly. It was all Pitch could do not to snort. Kaleth sat up and glared at her for a moment.

"No!" he said clearly offended she'd think such a thing. Alexa threw her hands up.

"Then explain what's going on with you to me!" She snapped. Pitch cringed a little. He doubted she realized it but that was a command. He held his breath waiting for Kaleth to reply. Kaleth took in a sharp breath, and as the command took hold words spilled out before he could stop them.

"I lost my temper and messed up. I have been trying to fix things since Alistair had control of me. You don't allow me as close to you as you used to. This clearly won't help!" he said before stopping his eyes wide like a deer caught in headlights.

Alexa's mouth popped open in a little O and she stared for a moment. Kaleth's face slowly hardened as he realized it had been a command and he hadn't had a choice but to spill. He stood up and headed for the balcony. He opened the doors to leave.

"Kaleth, stay." Alexa said quietly. Kaleth glared at her before turning back to the door and leaving.

"No." he said before vanishing into the night. Alexa stared at where he left, shook her head and flopped onto her pillow.