Chapter 6

The Doctor wrote the date on the wall, remembering it from looking at the newspaper downstairs. It was April 23rd, a day before the alleged Ripper murder. She scribbled frantically as Yaz read from a Wikipedia article, the Doctor correcting some things as she wrote. They both had forgotten their kiss for the moment, immersed in their research. Yaz looked down at the doctors muddy boots, hoping that that was not her bed that she was standing on. For the first time in a long time Yaz felt like a police officer again, although she was never trusted with anything as important as this. She felt a pang of anger thinking back to her days as a police officer. How she was always given the cases nobody else wanted. She was just as good as the rest, she didn't understand why they never gave her a chance.
She thought back to what the Doctor has said yesterday, that she was like her Doctor Watson, and how apt that comparison felt now.

"Okay so tomorrow Carrie Brown will be murdered in her lodging house. We need to find her and see if she knows anything." The doctor jumped down off the bed, her coat flying upwards like a cape.
"I thought we were not going to interfere?" Yaz smirked, she knew the Doctor too well to have believed that.

They ran down the long snowy street, the ground crunching underfoot. The dark night sky casting a blue glow on the ground. The Doctor routinely glanced back, making sure Yaz was still behind her. She didn't trust this time, or this place. She sometimes forgot how human her companions were, that their single heart didn't give them much stamina. Donna would have hated this, complaining about how she felt like she was going to fall over. The doctor thought about her other friend, Amy. Amy had been thrown back to this period, in this city. The doctor thought how she could never see her again, how delicate timelines really are, especially where the angels were concerned.
"Doctor!" The doctor stopped, skidding slightly on the ice. "The hotel! East river!" Yaz grabbed the cuff of her coat and ran towards it, this time the doctor was the one trailing. They stopped in front of a grey 4 story building, with dirty, off white window covers.
"I hate snow, it makes everything seem eerie. Plus I never trust a snowman." She pointed to a tiny half melted snowman on the curb of the street. Yaz thought it was a sad looking thing, with droopy eyes, the Doctor found it terrifying.
"So, Yaz, do we go in?" She turned to her companion. This time she didn't want to be the one to decide. She knew how Yaz was treated when she was a police officer, never getting to make any decision, or being a part of important cases. She remembered how deflated Yaz seemed when she talked about the time she was made to patrol a shopping center when a more junior officer had been assigned a murder. She wanted Yaz to see how much more import she really was. This was her case.
"Let's do it!"
They arrived at a reception. There was an elderly woman behind the coffee stained counter, her face being hidden with a long sagging head scarf.
"We don't have rooms for your kind here." Her shrill voice shook.
"Our kind?" The doctor looked at Yaz, then back at the woman.
"It's disgusting. Holding hands, walking into MY establishment." She slammed her hands down, rattling the pot of pens next to her.
"Okay. One, we are friends. And two we don't want a room, we are looking for Carrie brown. And three I was holding her coat so I didn't slip in the snow." Yaz stared out the woman, not really being able to determine where her eyes were. After a few seconds of silence, the woman looked down. "Top floor, room 427. Once you've got what you came for, get out."
"Charming." The Doctor whispered.