Chapter 5

"So, let's just fly to Whitechapel, then we can figure out a plan."

"Doctor, when do our plans ever work out? Like never"

" 'Bit harsh. What about my plan to run around the New New London eye to catch the mutant lion thing? That worked" The Doctor said proudly, flicking a switch on the console.

"One, that was my plan." The Doctor sulked as she remembered, but she would never agree. "And two, you ended up riding it."

"Wanna fly this time?" The Doctor asked, changing the subject quickly.

"Really?"

"Yeah. Come here, I'll show you."

Yaz stepped in front of her, trying not to get too close, she still needed time to process what had happened earlier.

"Push that leaver thing...Not that one!" The doctor grabbed Yaz's hand which was positioned on top of a blue handled leaver, pulling it back. "That one"

"Now what?" The doctor reached for the screen, her arm almost resting on Yaz's shoulder. She pressed a few buttons then recoiled her arm. "Now turn that wheel...and blast off...never saying that again."

The TARDIS started to rock back and forth, almost as if it was jammed. Sparks came splashing from the console, making the sound of a car that wouldn't start.

"No! What's wrong? Come on!" The Doctor ran around, fiddling with different buttons and attachments.

"What's happened? Did I do something? I'm so sorry"

"No Yaz, it's not you, she's just being stubborn. I don't get it, we did everything we usually do. Why won't you take us to Whitechapel..." She trailed off, realising why she couldn't get it to start.

"She knows where we want to go and she won't let us. Come on, what is it with this time that people don't want us to see? First Vastra, now you. Why did you allow us here in the first place?" Yaz stared at the Doctor, smiling to herself. She liked it when she talked to the TARDIS, it was like when her dad talked to his car. He used to insist that if you thanked it for getting you somewhere you'd always get to the next place safely.

"Can't we just get out and walk?" She asked.

"Oh yeah. That was my next plan."

They headed towards the door, but it was locked. Yaz wasn't one for panicking, not with what she had seen and done over the last 2 years, and as her time as a police officer, but she started to feel scared. There was something happening, and the place that should be the safest, felt the most dangerous.

"What are you doing? You can't just lock us in! We just wanted to look around, I'm not going to change anything!" The engine, what Yaz supposed was the engine, started to run. The sound of crunching gears began and stopped as suddenly. The Doctor reached for the door again, this time opening it. She slowly stepped out, and back in again.

"I do know that this is 1891 not 1888. The air tastes different, plus it's snowing, and it's New York! You didn't put any effort into trying to convince me!" A line of frustration appeared between the doctors eyebrows. She didn't like not being in control.

"Wait, Doctor, 1891 New York? Wasn't there some murder there that was connected or something?" Yaz asked. After a second of thinking the Doctor beamed, her excitement filling her up like a jar of angry bees. She took Yaz's cheeks and kissed her forehead, pulling her back like a trophy.

"You're brilliant Yasmin Khan! And you, my sexy thing are amazing."

"Sexy thing? Do I need to you know, pop outside and give you both some alone time?" Yaz raised her eyebrow slightly, smirking at the look of embarrassment on the Doctor's face.

"Why do people keep saying that? You call one ship sexy and it's as if I'm married- again. Okay what do we need? Sonic? Yep. Paper? Yep. Yaz? Yep. We're ready, let's go."

The streets were lined with pushcarts, upon them rows of fruits and vegetables. Women were dressed in long dresses, with large scarves draped across their shoulders. The Doctor remembered being here before, and seeing the danger of the empire state building. She never looked at pigs in the same way.

It was louder there than in London, people's voices almost echoed around each block. She looked at Yaz who was walking over to a stall selling apples. The Doctor reached for her psychic paper, lifting it up to the vendor.

"Apple inspector. Can I take a sample to, err, inspect?" The vendor nodded, still staring at the paper whilst handing her an apple. "This looks a good one, I need to take it back for analysis." She turned and started to walk, followed by Yaz. She passed her the apple.

"How does that even work?" She asked. Pointing to the paper.

"So I think of something, show them the paper and they see what I want them to. So Yaz, give me a job, or anything, I'll show you."

"Okay- a police officer. Nice and easy."

The Doctor looked at her paper, flushing red. All she could see was a picture of Yaz. "Nope, not working. Shame that. Temperamental." She quickly folded it back up, being careful not to show Yaz what was on it. "We need a base. How about there? 'Jimmy's Motel' looks brilliant." She bounded towards the motel.

"Can we have a room? A nice one, not one that has a shared bathroom. I had that once, although Margaret was very nice about it, she bought me a cup of tea in the bath." The man who stood behind the counter was middle aged, and wore a ragged shirt with an old waistcoat, and a tilted bowler hat. He didn't look up from his newspaper. "Excuse me, sir? Can we have a room?" He didn't stir. The Doctor noticed the bell on the counter and started tapping it repeatedly until he looked up.

"Yeah, okay." He turned around and grabbed a key. They could smell whiskey, and old food. His stubble decorated in a small piece of egg underneath his lip. "I don't care what you get up to as long as you pay up. Rooms upstairs, number 315. Pay when you leave." He looked back down at his newspaper. Taking it as their cue, the pair headed up the stairs.

The walls were painted a sickly green and has various stains covering it. There were 2 single beds, parted by a cabinet. The Doctor turned and locked the door.

"Okay, base camp. Let's write everything we know, down and find out where to start from."