They reached the library after half an hour.

When he saw the huge library, his hands started shaking and his headache surfaced. He could see people lining up, few familiar and many new and much worse.

"How fun," Daniel happily said, flicking his wrist and leading the group to the back. The four followed obediently.

"U-Uh, Lewis— Could you s-sign this?" Gabriel, the editor, asked as he opened the book.

At least there was someone he could share his nervousness with. "Sure," Lewis smiled, taking the offered pen, and signed the front page.

"T-Thanks," Gabriel said and scurried back to his group.

"There are so many people," Rose whispered, eyes wide.

Lewis let out a shaky breath and walked towards Bart, who greeted him with open arms.

"My boy! How have you been?" The low voice asked.

"Fine," Lewis nervously smiled, fidgeting with his fingers. Bart's hand patted his shoulder and the man was already disappearing into conversations.

"Come on," Daniel prodded, finally letting go of Jack's hand. He whispered something to Jack, Lewis raised his eyebrows, regretting it when needles pierced the back of his head.

Jack grabbed Narco and Rose, and disappeared somewhere, leaving Lewis alone with Daniel and his team.

People asked questions and he replied. Many were present only because they had nothing to do or had seen the poster in parts of the city. He did love the very helpful staff, though. Their encouraging smiles were the only reason he didn't want to collapse. He felt his fatigue rip through his muscles at every word he said, the nausea was building up again, and irritating prickles of a raging headache made him want to faint.

His hand was sore from the constant writing, his throat dry and itchy from talking. He stuttered every time but it disappeared as he talked more. The hours seemed to drag on forever.

Two hours of meeting people and having long conversations left him exhausted. He just wanted to drown in soft blankets and warm arms. The thought alone made him groan.

Narco, Jack, and Rose were nowhere to be found. So much for bringing them along.

"Congratulations! And celebrations!" Katie grinned, moving her brown hair away from twinkling her eyes.

"Thanks," Lewis cracked a tired smile, grabbing the book and signing it.

"Did you even sleep? You shouldn't overwork yourself," Katie scolded, taking her book and carefully putting it in her bag.

"Yes, mom," Lewis rolled his eyes, but smiled. He chewed on his lip, eyes closing and the relief it brought made him want to stay like that forever. "Have you seen Rose?"

Katie furrowed her eyebrows, "No,"

Lewis nodded and got up. Katie followed, eyes pensive, probably thinking about where her friends were. "Hey, Dan, have you seen Rose?" He looked at his carefree friend.

"She's with Jack and Narco," Daniel replied, turning back to talk with the few people around. Lewis was getting worried. Surely, they'd be back by now. Where could she have gone?

"Katie, can you help me?" Lewis asked, concern gracing his features as his heart hammered in his chest. She nodded, grabbing her belongings and stuffing it into her bag. He darted out the front door and into the streets. A part of him mocked him for being too concerned, and a part of him justified it.

Lewis looked around for any signs of his daughter. He heard a familiar squeal and his heart stopped. Did she get hit by something— Was she in danger—

"But I want ice-cream!" The sweet voice rang in his ears. He turned his head in every direction possible, not caring if it made his headache worse.

"There!" Katie pointed to a small coffee shop at the corner. Lewis ran towards the three figures. He was beyond relieved to see her safe.

"Flower," Lewis huffed as he swept his daughter in his arms.

"Let me down!" She cried, trying to wiggle out and swatting her father.

"Calm down," Jack said, swinging a plastic bag on hooked fingers.

"I am calm," Lewis grit his jaw, cradling Rose and refusing to let her go. Someone could snatch her away.

"Guys, let's return back," Katie huffed, pleading Jack with her blue eyes.

"Y-Yeah," Narco nodded, grabbing his coffee cup, and waited for someone to make a move.

"Pa, we got you some—"

"Shhh!" Came a few yells from behind. Lewis' mind wondered but he stopped himself, mainly because it worsened his headache. It was not like they were going to murder him as a surprise gift. But he was going to murder Daniel.

My Sunshine ✔जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें