Chapter Four

The sun shone brightly through the windows of Skyhold. The birds sang loudly their song of the heavens as the members of the inquisition got dressed into their formal attire. It had been a few weeks since Dorian had admitted to his preference of company in men to a few members of the inquisition. With trembling fingers, he managed to get his attire on properly. Many nobles would be at the ball, and some would despise him from his family background. He made his way down the spiral stairs and past Solas's study, to the great hall. 

"Hello, Darling." Vivienne greeted him with a warm smile. "Nervous, are you? Your hands are trembling." Dorian quickly turned away to face the wall, seeing as Cullen came downstairs from his room. "Everything is in place, Inquisitor." Josephine's voice was heard in the background as she spoke with Mira. All Dorian could do was keep his eyes on the warrior, entranced by his appearance. Cullen walked up to him with a smile on his face. Vivienne held a small smirk. "Allow me to leave," She walked off. Cullen held his smile and looked at Dorian. "This night is going to be very tricky." He said, letting out a sigh of nervousness. "Our only hope is to succeed." Dorian spoke quickly, keeping his gaze fixated on the wall. "Let us go!" Mira called to the inquisition. 

When the inquisition walked in, the room was loud and lit up with shining white light. The nobles laughed and smiled, talking endlessly about a number of things. "Introducing, The inquisitor!" A man called out. Mira went to Empress Celine and bowed. "My thanks for inviting us, Empress Celine." She smiled. "Ah! Inquisitor! The pleasure is mine." her eyes shown brightly behind her mask. "Go ahead and mingle away!" Dorian nodded and walked away, heading outside to a balcony to get air. He let out a small sigh of fear and frustration. "I didn't ask to be here tonight. I have to keep my eyes open." 

"Nervous?" A voice spoke behind him. He turned quickly to see Cullen standing in the archway. "This place is filled with people who.. wouldn't appreciate me if they knew I was a Tevinter, Commander." Dorian spoke sadly. "Of course they wouldn't. They're evil people." He growled with a smirk as he stepped closer, grabbing Dorian's chin with a rough force, making the mage gasp. "Cullen!" he spoke in a hoarse voice. "Oh, Magister. I know everything you feel. He can't make you happy. But I can." The man whispered into Dorian's ear, licking the shell of his ear, biting with a slight pressure with each move down his neck. The mage held onto the steel railing of the balcony, letting a quiet moan escape his lips. 

Cullen smirked and added a sharp pressure into his hips. "You'll be mine, one way or another, Pavus." He whispered. Dorian felt a shiver go down his back. "I'll keep up these mind games, until your body has been used." The warrior bit down on Dorian's neck, feeling like fangs piercing his skin. He threw his head back and ran his hand over Cullen's arm, as Cullen pulled away with blood on his lips, smirking. He kissed Dorian roughly, and the mage tasted the crimson substance, moaning in the process. Cullen pulled away and gently ran a hand against Dorian's cheek. "Wait again, the rifts will open soon." He spoke and walked off.   

Hours later, Dorian waited for the inquisitor on the balcony, only to be greeted by a woman in a red velvet dress. "Dorian Pavus? I am Morrigan." She bowed. Mira walked up to her. Leliana and Josephine reported they saw you and Cullen strangely together, when Cullen was also by Varric the whole time. What is going on?" She hissed. Dorian stared at her confused. "Cullen was in two places at once?" His eyes widened with realization. "One was a fake.." He spoke solemnly. Cassandra jogged up to them. "Inquisitor, we must leave no-" Her sentence cut itself short as she walked closer to Dorian, staring at his neck. "Is that.. a hickey?" She asked, moving him closer to see. "It's bleeding. Dorian, who were you with?" She asked angrily. "I.. I don't know, Cassandra." He placed his cold hand to his hot forehead. "We must return to Skyhold. I fear something is wrong." She spoke quickly. 

As they came back, Dorian paced about his study. "If that was not Cullen.. who was it? Someone who can take the form of someone that someone loves or infatuates?" He slammed his fists onto his desk, anger and sadness burning within his chest. "I will figure out who that was. I have to know." he growled to himself.