two

Grey

As I stepped out of my older brother's car I realized two very important things.

One: I had no idea what I was going to say to Storm or how I was going to even approach her.

Two: I forgot my backpack at home. I knew my shoulders felt lighter today, damnit.

I turned around to tell my bother but I came face to face with air, the sound of my brothers engine fading away with distance. He didn't even tell me bye, what an asshole.

"Fuck my life" I groan, throwing my head back with slight self pity. I quickly get out of the way of oncoming cars and walk to the empty bench in front of the parking lot. Before I sat down I looked behind it and saw the cafeteria buzzing with people eating the school provided breakfast.

I could see my usual table empty, just waiting for Kayla, Josh and I to sit down and joke around like normal. I looked away and sat down with a sigh. I watch as arriving students make their way to the front doors. Many looked exhausted, many more looked like they'd rather be anywhere else, a few looked happy to be here.

A few things that everyone knew about Storm was she always got to school on time, but she always came in nine minutes late. It was viewed as an act of rebellion, if a student arrived past ten minutes they'd be counted absent even if they're present in the classroom that day at any point.

When I hear the sound of her matte black, 2017 ford mustang pull up in her usual second row parking spot I start to hyperventilate.

This is actually going to happen. I haven't had an actual conversation with Storm since the summer after freshmen year. She had just dyed her hair pink, it had been her natural brunette before, and I was the first person to see it. She had came to my parents restaurant for her weekly order of honey buttered croissants.

I was shell shocked when I took her order, stunned at how gorgeous she looked.

Back then she still smiled, although it was less bright.

"Your hair looks good" I say, giving her an awkward smile that comes with a bright blush.

Storm looks up from the menu she didn't need and gives me a once over. "Thank you Grey... You already know what I'm gonna' order right?" She asks, handing over her menu with a small grin.

I grab it from her outstretched hand with a smile, enjoying the familiarity that came with having regular costumers. "Which drink are you thinking of having today? Lemonade or coke?" I found Storm enjoyed mixing up her drink choice between the two.

Storm taps her pointer finger on her chin as she thinks deeply about her options. "Mm, I'll have a coke today please."

"Coming right out" I promise before walking away towards the kitchen to put in her order.

Storm climbs on top of the hood of her car and watches the sky. Her hair was sprawled out on the clean windshield, her hands resting on her stomach. She fiddled with her fingers as her eyes roamed the darkening sky.

Suddenly I knew how and when I should approach her. I take an encouraging deep breath and push my jelly like legs to stand up. I take a hesitant step forwards, my legs jerking in anxiousness. I silently begged the universe for Storm to not find me creepy as I took another step towards her. After the first few steps it was a lot easier to walk forwards, if I just ignored my raging anxiety.

I pretended it was just an angry blur behind me and that the further I got away from it the less it'd have effect on me. When I got just a few feet away from her I tripped over my feet, causing the gravel beneath me to make noise as I kicked it.

Storm immediately sits up and swiftly grabs something from her black combat boot as she scans the area around her. Her eyes catch mine and she looks me up and down before slightly relaxing her tense shoulders. I look to her hands and see a black steel knife clutched in her left hand.

I halt my steps and bring my eyes back up to slowly meet hers again. She was still analyzing me, this time instead of threatening she was curious. I wonder if she still remembers me.

"What do you want Grey?" She asks, her voice softer than it was yesterday when she talked to London. But it still held that harsh edge to it.

Guess she did remember me.

I smiled awkwardly, my hands flying to my hair to tug on it shyly. "To talk?" I say, the tone of my voice making it sound like it was a question.

"You sound unsure" she mutters obviously amused as she leans against her windshield casually.

"Come up here" She offers, her eyes leaving me and returning to look up at the sky.

My eyes widen in surprise but I quickly wipe it from my face. Storm doesn't usually talk to people, let alone let them sit on her car.

As confidently as I could I gently climbed on top of the hood and laid down cautiously. I try to lighten my breathing as well, so I wasn't huffing in her ear like a dog.

Storm snorts at my caution, "Don't worry about breaking the glass or hood, my baby's been through a lot more than you can throw at her."

Her words didn't help me relax.

"I know you watch me... stalker boy" she says, her eyes still focused on the clouds.

My cheeks flare red and I quickly turn my head away. Staring at the trees a few feet away I say, "I-I'm not a stalker. You just intrigue me."

"May I ask what's so intriguing?" I feel her eyes burning holes on the side of my head.

I don't look at her. If I look at her I know my cheeks will turn red again. "I really don't know. I think it's the fact of how much you've changed and become a mystery to everyone." I confess, gnawing on the inside of my cheek.

Storm suddenly sits up and I take a chance to glance at her.

"So you want to figure me out?" Storm says as she sits up to put her hair into a low ponytail beneath her ears. She pulls out a few baby hairs to frame her face. She looked so beautiful, so soft when she was underneath the sun.

I nod my head, humming out a 'yes.'

"There's a chance you might never" she says, her lips forming a sly smirk. Her eyes held a sort of challenge, like she was daring me to try.

"Never say never" I grin at her like the cheshire cat.

"Did you just... quote Justin Bieber?" She asks, her eyebrows furrowing with confusion.

"Yes, yes I did."

Storm shakes her head, chuckling softly as she does so. "You're weird."

I shrug my shoulders, feigning nonchalance, "we can't all be mysteries."

Storm is silent for a few seconds, her head dipping down to hide her expression. I sit up, worried that I said something wrong. But before I could open my mouth to apologize she snaps her head back up.

"Let's go." She says, jumping off the hood. Her feet creating a crunching noise as she lands on the gravel covered parking lot.

I follow her example but carefully so I don't leave a dent. "Where?"

Storm doesn't answer as she opens the driver side door and climbs inside the car. Hesitantly I glance back at the entrance of the school. I see Kayla and Josh waiting right before the entrance, scanning the incoming students probably for me. I'll text them and tell them what's happening, they'll understand.

I open the passenger door and climb in, the feeling of guilt clinging to my stomach.

Kayla and Josh have each other for first period, it's not like they're being left alone. Besides I'll only miss a few periods.

I hope.