♞ DOS

"What is the quality of your intent?"—Thurgood Marshall

—Thurgood Marshall

: INQUIRIES AND MORE
  INQUIRIES

     "You're Joe West, right?"

     Sebastián strode across the space between them. This was definitely the man that he'd seen in the picture, he was unmistakable. Confidence flowed through Sebastian's features, he held out a hand to Joe with intent on introducing himself. Normally he wouldn't act so bold but this man was someone he'd have to spend a lot of time around; it was only natural for them to act casual around one another.

Confusion descended on Joe's face, a thin veil covering his surprise at hearing his name. "That's me," his voice was deep and calm as he nodded. Joe took Sebastián's hand in his own, his grip a little too strong for Sebastián's taste. "Who are you?"

"Sebastián Belmonte," Sebastián smiled, hoping he looked friendly enough. "Your new partner."

Joe's brown eyes widened. If he was shocked at the news of a new partner, he didn't comment on it. His eyes drifted over to Sebastián's piercing, he didn't comment on that either. "Nice to meet you, Sebastián." They pulled their hands away and Joe began walking to a desk where papers were stacked high and folders were overflowing. His partner followed behind like a lost puppy, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"You too, Mr. West," he nodded to the desk. "This one's yours?"

"Yes it is, and the one across from me is yours now. Also," the older detective stared at Sebastián until he felt as if he'd done something wrong. It made his skin crawl uncomfortably. "Just call me Joe, got it?"

Sebastián nodded. He peered over at his new desk. It was clean, tidy, and the computer didn't take up more than the corner of the desk. "So," he began. "The Captain was thinking you could show me around C.C.P.D.? I had a hard time even finding his office." Sebastián laughed to himself and scratched the back of his neck when Joe's gaze fell on him. "I nearly squashed some guy on my way in. He's the only way I got to the meeting on time."

     "Yeah," Joe nodded and grabbed his grey jacket from the back of his chair. "Sure. Follow me and I'll show you where everything is."

     A smile slipped onto Sebastián's face easily. He tried his best to keep the excitement from bleeding into his voice. "Great, let's do it!"

     Joe led the way, showing Sebastián the small and only slightly-messy break room where a battered coffee machine sat on a pedestal while its exhausted worshippers, who waited eagerly around it, sat around and waited for its blessing. They moved on and Sebastián learned where the cold and unforgiving interview rooms were. One-sided glass doubled over as a mirror and one of the detectives watching from the outside glared at them until they moved away.

     After finding the lockers where the patrol units kept their belongings and changed, Sebastián found the bathrooms before they were suddenly heading up the stairs.