Chapter 8 Gone?

Aaron Wilkins's PoV

"What do you mean, she's gone?!"

"She and her mom packed up and moved on Friday. Said she couldn't stay, and had to go. That's all I know, Aaron," Susan, Melissa's best friend answered.

"But that doesn't help me! Where did she go?"

"Who knows? Melissa never tells anybody where she's going."

I sighed. Why did Melissa have to make it so difficult on me? I just found her, and then she disappears. As if she was a ghost.

Maybe she was. Maybe I'm making this all up. I don't know. But I can't get her out of my head. Why did she run? Was it because of me? It had to have been because of me. She'd been here for three years before she left. Right after I met her. Did she truly run from me?

"Aaron, why don't you stop worrying? You can go back to your ex. Be happy with her. I know you love her more than Melissa," Susan says. I glare at her, and she steps back, holding her hands up. "O-kay.. don't listen to my advice, then. Go be miserable. Just don't do it around me."

I roll my eyes, turning and heading for my locker.

As I reach my locker, Jennifer comes up to me, red eyed. I smirk, wondering what could have gotten her to cry. She glares at me, and almost looks as if she wants to slap me, but she's holding back. Good. She shouldn't slap me. I haven't done anything to her.

Well, that's not true. I ignored her after she broke up with me. And then I noticed Melissa and went after her. Jennifer's probably angry about that. Not that I really care.

Melissa is who I want to be with now, and yet she's run away. If only I could know where she went. Then I could have her back..

I open my locker, grabbing my books for class. Looking at the inside door of my locker, I see a photo taped into a tiny corner, one of me and Melissa. Melissa's eyes are shining with happiness, and she appears to be laughing. How did I get that photo? When? I don't remember ever having my picture taken with her...

As I ponder, I distinctly hear the bell ring, but I ignore it, instead continuing to wonder where the photo was taken, and why it was taken.

"You'll never learn the reason, you know," someone said behind me. I jumped, turning around. Seeing it was the new kid, I huffed.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in class?" I asked. As I asked him, I realized he hung around Melissa quite a bit when she was here.

"What do you know of Melissa White?"

He looked taken aback, as he comprehended my invasive question.

"U-uhm... well, I know that she's been my best friend since we were toddlers," he said, surprising me. How had he known her since infancy? He only just moved here, and she moved here a couple years ago..

"We grew up as neighbors until she moved away in fifth grade. I thought she had died until my mother told me she had to move to a new town."

I nodded, not quite accepting his explanation. I couldn't believe that he was her best friend. I thought - rather, I knew that Susan had been her best friend since she moved here. She kind of clung to Susan for support whenever she needed it.

"Look, I know you don't believe me, but it's true. Melissa and I grew up together, and we were best friends. I have photos to prove it. Here," he said, handing me some photos he fished out of his backpack. I shifted through them, looking at each one. They were a collection of different ages, each one of him and her as they grew older, her eyes full of light and laughter, him watching her with expressions of happiness and.. love?

I must have been mistaken, there was no way he had loved her. They had just been best friends, right?

"You decide what is fact, and what is fib, Aaron," he said, smirking at me, as he turned and began walking away, leaving me confused and curious.

"Hey! Aren't you supposed to be in class?" Someone yelled at me, and I turned to see the vice principal, Mrs. Merrimack, walking towards me. I sighed, placing the photos inside my locker and shutting it.

"Yes, Mrs. Merrimack. I'm sorry. I was just on my way to the bathroom and stopped to grab something out of my locker," I explained, and Mrs. Merrimack nodded, not quite believing me, as I could tell in the look in her eyes.

"Well, you should be on your way, then, Mr. Wilkins," she said, watching me as I nodded and began walking past her.

"Oh, and Mr. Wilkins," I turned back to her.

"Yes?"

"Don't get your mind wrapped around miss Melissa White. She's not coming back."

I nodded, surprised that Mrs. Merrimack would know that I was angry about Melissa moving away. I turned away, and began walking towards the bathroom, as I could feel Mrs. Merrimack's eyes following me the entire way.