Prologue

March 30th, 2156 - Alania

Everything was how it should have been. The animals ate happily in their stalls in the barn, the plants had been watered, and Mr. and Mrs. White ate peacefully in their small farmhouse.
A couple of sticks broke in the distance, and Mr. White stood, wiping his hands on his napkin as he walked to the window. Looking out, he checked to ensure they were alone, then returned to the table, where a small huckleberry pie had been placed for dessert.
Mr. White smiled, leaning over the small table to kiss his wife on the cheek. Sitting down, he cut into the pie, serving two plates for himself and his wife.
"I'll be leaving tomorrow, you know," he said, glancing at his wife.
"Is the festival really so close? You know how I hate to see you leave for every festival," his wife, Lily, said.
"Yes, my love, I know. But we must earn our coppers one way or another. Selling a couple chickens and pigs will give us enough coppers to last until the next festival." Mr. White took a bite of the pie. "And maybe you can get a new dress with a few coppers," he added.
Lily smiled. "A new dress would be nice," she said, getting up and clearing the dishes. Mr. White stood, wiping the corners of his mouth.
"Is there anything you would like from the festival?" He asked his wife, picking up some of the dishes and taking them to the sink.
Lily paused, thinking for a moment. "Just that you will come home safely," she replied.
Mr. White smiled. "Well, then, I will surely get home safely, my love."

After the dishes were cleaned, Mr. and Mrs. White went to bed, neither one prepared for what would happen later that night.

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

It was midnight. The animals slept peacefully, like their owners in the farmhouse.
A couple of dark figures emerged from the underbrush, creeping slowly towards the small house.
When they were sure the Whites were asleep, one motioned to the rest of the group, who were still hiding in the underbrush.
Armoured men came into view, a couple moving to the barn.
Suddenly, one of the men stepped on a fallen branch, breaking it. The sound echoed through the clearing.

Inside the farmhouse, Mr. White woke, moving to the window. Peeking out, he saw a few silhouettes against the dark background of the forest. He turned back to the room, rushing to his wife, who was still sleeping.
"Lily!"
Lily turned, facing him. "....what is it, Charles?"
"Lily, get up! You have to go!"
Charles turned, moving quickly to their small dresser, opening a drawer. Pulling out a few of his wife's dresses, he set them inside their traveling bag.
"What do you mean, Charles? Why must I go? It's the middle of the night," Lily asked, sitting up. Rubbing her eyes, she looked around, then froze, after hearing something outside.
"What was that?" She mumbled, getting out of bed and moving to the window. Peeking out, she realized why her husband had told her to wake up.
They were here.
"Hurry, Lily," Charles said, and she turned back to him, panicking.
"Charles, what are we going to do? We can't fight off that many, and they have the house surrounded!" She cried, rushing to him.
Charles put his finger to her lips, quieting her panicked voice. Taking her into his arms, he rested his chin on her head, closing his eyes for a moment.
"It will be alright, Lily. We'll make it through this. I promise," he said.
She pulled back, looking up into his eyes.
"How can you be so sure? We can't even escape!"
Charles sighed, letting her go. Walking to the bookcase next to their bed, he searched through the few books it held until he retrieved an ancient tome. Lily came over, curious.
"What is it?" She asked, glancing at Charles.
"This is something that's been in my family for years. I'm giving it to you, now. This tome will help you, Lily. I know what you can do, and what our daughter will do. Our daughter is going to be special, my love. She will save our world, when the time comes," Charles said, handing the tome to Lily.
"But, how -"
"Not yet, my love. You, and our daughter, will know in time. Be patient."
He walked over to the door, taking a key from inside a flap in the wallpaper. Inserting the key in the door, he turned it, three times, then pulled it out.
He turned back to his wife, a tear in his eye.
"Lily, you must go -"
A sound from the front of the house interrupted him. The front door had been broken in.
Lily gasped, looking at her husband for protection.
"Go. The portal is open, and once you go through it, you'll be safe. I promise," Charles said, stepping away from the door.
"What portal?"
"Trust me, Lily. I can't lose you. Our world can't lose you, or our daughter."
Lily sighed, moving to the door, the ancient tome in one hand, the traveling bag in the other.
Just before she reached the door, she turned, tears falling down her cheeks. Charles smiled at her, and she smiled back.
As she opened the door, light shining from the open portal, she heard him say one last thing before she could hear nothing more.

"I love you..."