Chapter 14: Jax (Scene 1)

"Jax, it's me. I'm sorry the concert didn't happen. I had to work. I'll try again. Maybe in a week?"

I delete Grace's voicemail in the car on the way back to the hotel after the show.

Straight after the last encore, I bolted. Normally I wait for my band, sometimes even the crew.

Not tonight.

Some people don't like time alone. Me, I need to process. To turn things over, to unpack them, look at them.

But it's a fine line between that and spinning out in my own shit.

Haley knew I was pissed. What she didn't know was that only half of it was her fault. The rest was Cross' ultimatum, fresh in my mind.

When I saw her walk into the hall wearing that outfit, her mouth painted the color of cherries...

It was all I could do not to drag her into my dressing room.

Then she'd hugged me.

I can't remember the last time a girl who wasn't my sister hugged me. I can't remember wanting one to.

I mean, it's a fucking hug. As innocent as it gets.

That's why there's no excuse for the fact that I let myself into my room, drop my shit by the door, and collapse on the bed.

The blood is pumping through my veins, and I'm alive with it.

I reach for my belt, snapping it open.

Then the button on my jeans. The zipper.

My hand is on my hard cock as I picture her singing my songs.

The way her tits looked in that top.

The curve of a smile on her red mouth when she started to relax.

I shouldn't be doing this, but I'm tired of telling myself no.

I stroke down my cock, and a long groan escapes.

Yes. This is exactly what I fucking need. My balls are tighter than Kyle's drum kit, and I know I'm going to come forever in about sixty seconds.

My hand plays my body, but it's my mind calling the shots as I imagine dragging her off stage at the end of the show. This time, instead of escaping back here, I pull her into the shadows and run my hands down her sides, over her ass. I swallow her gasp because we need to be quiet if no one's going to find us.

Because I'm sure as hell not stopping for anything short of an earthquake.

It's pain and pleasure at once, my hand moving easily thanks to the wetness already leaking from my tip. I grip my cock harder, putting pressure on the sensitive underside. Imagining it's Haley's hand and I'm telling her to be rough with me.

A knock on my door has my hand stilling.

"Jax, you in there? You seen Haley?"

It's Kyle's voice.

I've got half a mind to ignore it, but the question sinks in, along with the implication.

I shift off the bed, fastening my jeans, and cross to the door.

"She's missing?"

He holds up a glass. "I made her a drink."

The hairs rise on my neck. "Wait. Don't tell me she's partying with you."

"Yeah. She's part of the band tonight." He laughs as if he made a joke, but the idea of her drinking with the guys makes me livid.

I brush past him, going down to the room with music streaming from it and shoving inside.