Back to Now

I am Dick Grayson. I was once Robin, the boy wonder. Now, I am Nightwing, hero of Blüdhaven. And I am a powerhouse.
I still have my powers, but now I have more. I control metal, electricity, and plants. I have more forms to shift into. I can desity shift. I can turn invisible. And I rarely use them
They no longer exhaust me, I just don't want to draw attention. I still train, but I only use them in emergencies.
Right now? There is an emergency. And it's called the team wants to recruit me. And that means I have to see Bruce again.
I decide to go anyway. My cop job is only an hour a day, and most times I get to choose when I go in. Besides, it might be nice to reconnect.
I have the mind to change my name from 'Robin' to 'Nightwing' on the Zeta tubes before we got there. I don't want them to know just yet.
When I step out of the tubes, the team is there, staring. Apparently I'm a big star around here. I see a green bird in the crowd and hear it talking. Did I mention animal communication?
The bird turns into a small human. He reaches his hand out to shake. "I'm beast boy. Welcome to the team!" The team leads me into the living room, where a small party is set up.
It's actually pretty fun. There are quite a few new people, so I don't blow my cover. M'gann and Superboy broke up. Huh. Wally and Artemis are dating? Knew that. Robin left after a fight with Batman? I was there. But I never say anything. I just act interested.
I end up talking to Wally. After I excused us from the party, I told him who I was. He was excited to see me. I asked him to keep it secret. After updating him on my new powers, we came back.
Once the party was well into the night, I left to get back to Blüdhaven. I still have patrol. Thankfully, the team made me coffee.
In Blüdhaven, it's quiet. So, I reach out with my electricity and try to look through any camera's I find. There are no crimes. Wait, what was that? A dark shape.
I stand up and hurry to the area where the camera is. Nearby I see another humanoid shape. As I edge closer, I see that it's Batman. Crap.
I go closer, sneaking up on him. He's looking for something. I'm on the roof next to his when I call out. "If you're missing something, I can help." He whirls around.
When he sees it's me, he relaxs. Or, as much as he does when he's on the job. He and I worked a few cases, and he still doesn't know who I am.
"Nightwing. Yes, I was looking for something. I was looking for you. I heard about the team inviting you to join."
I try to keep my powers under control. The don't work well under stress. "Yeah. There was a little party. You should have joined us. Or was it too cheery for the big Bat?" I teased him.
He grunted. That was his way of saying he was amused. He turned, saying "If you're on my team, you follow my rules. Is that clear?" I nodded. He shot his hook, and was yanked away.
I turned back. It was still a quiet night. I decided to sleep. Now that I control my powers better, I partly control my dreams. I set the camera's to play in my head while I sleep, just so I can get to work. As I drift off, I think about the team. It will be different. And I'll work with different.