𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

Beginne am Anfang

It was too toxic.

It was always the same dream everyday, making Mike feel guilty of the situation Will was in.

It felt like all of it was his fault

Then today everything was very different.

Today was Will's discharge from the hospital and everyone was bittersweet about it.

Today was March 2nd of 1985.

Mike had missed the snowball to stay at the hospital for Will.

He always knew it was worth ditching the school dance when the point of going wasn't even going, let alone, awake.

"Sweetie?" Three knocks sounded throughout the place.

Mike was in his room, getting ready.

Getting ready for what? It was the question that kept pestering his mind.

What was he truly trying to get ready for?

The door squeaked open. Karen peeked her head through, watching her son seating so still on his bed as he fumbled with his shirt.

"Honey, it's time to go." Karen spoke up.

Mike looked to her direction, eyes glazed.

He smiled, a toothless one. Ever so slowly, his thoughts conjured up tears, beginning to sprout into his eyes as his cheeks hurt from faking his smile.

Karen went in, a sigh of worry as she walked over, comforting her son.

"Sweetie, what's wrong?" Karen rubbed circles on Mike's shivering back.

"I-i'm never going to see him after this, am i?" Mike sobbed.

He knew at the pit of his stomach that he was right. After all he heard that there was no cure for Will's sake.

"I'm sorry i never told you." Ms. Wheeler sighed guiltily.

"Tell me about what?" Mike asked, turning to his mother with curious and accusing eyes.

Silence.

"Tell me about what, Mom?" Mike asked once again, this time more louder.

"I knew. From the start, i knew that Will was having problems and i wanted to help them, so i lend them some money because i knew they couldn't afford their medical bill on their own."

Mike stared confusedly at his mother, then he slowly caught on.

"And when the phone rang, you said it was for the leaked pipe. But it was for Will, wasn't it?" Mike, now feeling betrayed, asked his mother rather aggressively.