Chapter One: Drunken Justice

James POV

11 years ago

The sirens were still going off after over an hour. I didn't dare move from my spot, not even after the creaking of floor boards got closer and closer. I jumped at the sudden attack of pounding on the bathroom door. " James. Open the door. " he commanded. I shrunk back against the tub, quietly pulling the curtain across and putting my hand over my mouth to silence my breathing. He already knew I was in here, he saw mother push me into the bathroom and tell me to lock the door, but for some reason I thought that maybe.. Just maybe.. the thin blue layer would protect me from the 6'8 giant and the silence would keep him away kinda like a dream catcher keeps away the bad dreams at night.

But it seemed as if luck wasn't on my side today, because the door knob started shaking, and the sound of cracking wood echoed off the white walls. Soon the entire door fell off the hinges and the giant fell right on top of it. He looked unconscious. I took this as my chance to get away, so I jumped out of the tub with a death grip on my favorite teddy bear and ran across the giants back.

When I got one foot out of the door, a hand wrapped around my ankle and pulled me back, making my head whack off the useless door.

I screamed and kicked, trying to break free from the burning touch of an alcohol induced monster.

But It was no use.

The phrase " you can run but you can't hide " seemed like such a lie right about now.

You can't do either.

I was picked high up off the floor and thrown over his shoulder, smelling the awful stench of cheap beer and sweat that was clinging to his police uniform.

He stomped out of the house and cold wind whipped me in the face making it burn instantly. I was numb to it within seconds. All I could think about was " where's my mother? " as the giant threw me in the back seat and then slammed the door.

I hugged the teddy bear to my chest and looked at him over the top of it's head.

He looked mad. He looked tired. He looked nothing like the man that taught me how to play basketball, or tie my shoes, or even kiss me goodnight after mommy read me a bed time story.

Who is this man?

My eyes started to feel heavy and I fought the best I could to keep them open.

When you're only five years old though, you don't have enough energy, so I laid my head back and let sleep take me away.

My eyes flew open at the feeling of being pulled.

The giant was dragging me out of the car and I tripped, scraping my knee off the wet road.

Lightening flashed all above us, not giving the dark sky a break from it's bright lashings.

I tried to keep up with his fast walking but my tiny legs just couldn't manage it and I kept falling, gaining more and more bruises.

He lead us down the side of the deserted road more until we stopped on top of a small wooden bridge.

I remember this place.

He takes me fishing here a lot.

But why were we here now? It's down pouring and late at night.

He picked me up and held me out over the ledge.

I looked down, seeing the raging water and broken trees being carried away.

I gasped and looked back up at the giant with pleading eyes.

" Please. Please daddy, stop. It's not funny. " I begged.

He kept a blank face as he looked at me. It didn't last long before he glared at me with hatred, the kind of hatred that could only be aimed at someone disgusting or a disappointment.

What did I do?

" You don't deserve to live. You should've died at birth. Five years I've had to deal with you. You ruined my life! All my money, gone! I wanted to leave your mother for so long but I thought if I stayed once you were born I'd get more money, but I was wrong. You're a fucking disgrace. A mistake. I won't regret getting rid of you. "

He let go with one hand and I started to dangle, so I reached out and grabbed a hold of his uniform trying not to fall.

My teddy bear slipped out of my hand and when I tried to grab it I slipped out of his other hand and ripped his pocket off his uniform in the process.

I started falling.

It felt like forever before I plunged into the cold, harsh river.

But in reality, it only took seconds.

Water filled my lungs and I flailed every which way.

My head hit a few things.

Rocks? Logs? I'm not sure.

All I know is that at that moment, I'd given up.

My fathers words rang in my head as my body was pushed along down the flooding disaster.

" You don't deserve to live. "

" You're a fucking disgrace. A mistake. "

Authors note:

Hey guys!

I hope you liked the first chapter.

As you can tell, it's just a chapter about his past.

The next few chapters are going to be this way because they play a HUGE role in this book.

I think maybe only two more chapters will be this way?

I'm not sure.

I have some really good ideas and I know you guys will just love it c:

By the way, show Bunnylover85 some freaking love!!! Bunny has been amazing and deserves so much kindness! :D