Chapter Thirty-Four, Lovers at Heart

Start from the beginning

“He did. So did she. She loved us like we were all precious. Even when we were bad. She would give it to you like fire for about a minute, and in the next breath, she was laughing and joking like you were a blessed angel who could do no wrong.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. You know it was Mom who started the whole backyard grilling thing, don’t you?” He watched Rex approach. His jeans stretched tight across his massive thighs, and his hat was still pulled down low. He looked every bit like the quintessential cowboy.

“I never knew why we did it. It’s all I’ve ever known.”

“It was Mom.”

Rex stepped onto the porch and sat beside Savannah. “What was Mom?”

“She was the one who started the outside barbeque tradition,” Savannah answered.

Rex took off his hat and ran his hand through his thick, collar-length black hair. He set his hat back on his head and wiped his face with his hand. “Remember that? She said we were only nourishing our bodies if we ate inside all the time and that we also had to nourish our souls.”

A warmth softened Rex’s hard exterior, and for a brief moment, Treat saw the sweet little boy Rex had been before their mother became ill. “Because that’s what the sun, wind, snow, and rain were for,” Treat added.

“I wish I’d known her then, like you guys did.” Savannah tried to push the frown from her lips.

“You’re just like her.” Rex touched his sister’s shoulder, then headed for the door. “You doing night chores with me?”

“Wouldn’t miss it,” Treat answered.

After the door closed, Treat and Savannah remained on the deck. It was nice, just being with his family, without donning a suit and tie, without needing to be “on” all the time. Treat had a lot to figure out, but he’d instinctively set up his resorts to function well without him on site, so he wasn’t worried. He’d always made sound business decisions. If only I could figure out what to do about Max.

“Why did Max leave?” Savannah asked.

Treat picked up a rock from the lower step and tossed it into the yard, wondering if he was so transparent that Savannah could read his thoughts. “I’m not really sure. I’m still trying to figure that out myself.” He wiped his palms on his jeans, wishing he could talk to Max.

“I really thought, after she came here, and then tracked you down at the Cape, that she was the one, you know?” She scooted closer to him again. “I want that for you. I want you to be with someone who adores you. Someone who would go anywhere to be with you.”

“Then that makes two of us. Only I want Max to be that one. No one else. Just Max.”

“So, why don’t you go find her? Tell her?”

Savannah was goading him, and Treat knew it. She’d love nothing more than to spur him into action and stake claim on being the impetus for his actions forever. He smiled at her and touched her nose like he had when she was little. She smiled up at him. Her long auburn hair blew away from her face with the late-afternoon breeze, and for an instant, she was the spitting image of their mother.

“She wanted the distance between us. I can’t keep pushing myself on her,” he answered.

“Treat, you’re such a fool. All men are. No matter what we say, we want the night in shining armor. We want Richard Gere riding up in his white limousine. We want Leonardo DiCaprio to tell us that he’ll never let us go.”

Why did Treat feel like she was talking about what she wanted and not necessarily Max or other women?

“Not when they tell you otherwise, Savannah. Don’t women want respect? Don’t they want us to respect their space so they can think clearly?” Savannah’s energy was finding its way into his body, and he was actually wondering if he was wrong. Maybe he should go after Max.

“Nope. We want you to read between the lines.”

“Read between the lines? She didn’t leave much for interpretation.” Treat had dissected every word Max had written, and still he came up empty as far as figuring out what to do.

“Trust me, big brother. Every woman wants her man to read between the lines, and because of that, she leaves a bread crumb trail.”

“Savannah, do you want Connor Dean to follow your bread crumbs?”

A shadow passed through Savannah’s eyes. “I’m not sure. Most of the time, I think I do. Sometimes, though, I’m not sure if I’m only setting myself up to be hurt.”

“Please tell me you don’t mean physically hurt, because I’d hate to be known as the guy who killed Connor Dean.”

“He’s a butterfly, really. He’s not a fighter.” She pulled her hair over to one side.

“Well, you are a feisty thing. Is that the problem? That he’s not a fighter?”

“It’s just schedules and craziness.” Savannah took his hand. “Let’s analyze you instead. What exactly is the problem? What did Max say? I know you listened to her. You’re the best listener there is. Besides Josh, I mean. He’s really the best.”

Treat poked her arm. “She said I’d resent her if I changed the way I did business.”

“And you said you wouldn’t, but she’s convinced you will.” Savannah rose to her feet. “Oh, brother of mine.” She pulled him up by his hands. “You, my dear, are missing something. She definitely left a bread crumb trail for you to follow. You just have to find it.”

“I’m a very wise and wealthy man, you know,” he teased as they walked inside. “I’m pretty sure that if there were a bread crumb trail, I’d see it. In fact, I’d have seen it before she realized she left it.”

Savannah opened the refrigerator and began taking out food to cook for dinner. “Don’t fool yourself. You’re wise when it comes to business, but maybe not so wise when it comes to the mysterious ways of women.”