Chapter Two

Chapter Two

(Kyra-Anne’s Point of View)

            He wanted me to explain. How would I start? I wanted answers, but I guess I need to provide them with the information for the questions. He had the fire around him, as did his friend. I sighed. I guess I would start at the beginning.

            “I have a power. It’s like a pressure inside of me when I’m about to use it. I can make it appear out of my body, in a ball of fire. I can see things. Like dragons. I can set things on fire with my head. Other things too. Levitating I just figured out. It’s just-“

             My voice cut out. I placed my hand to my throat and let a few sparks flow in between the two places of skin. His eyes grew wide as I did that.

            “Man. That is some special gift.”

            That was his friend. I think his name was Luke. The boy’s name was Alex. That much I caught.

            “That too. Only small things. The power, it’s just a feeling of weight on my body. When I was six I found a baby dragon in the yard. It loved me. My brother couldn’t see it. When I was eight I was teased and set a pile of leaves on fire. I’ve learned to mostly control it.”

            “And the dragon stuck around.”

            He whispered in awe.

            “You saw her? Her name is Sara.”

            “You named her? And yes, we saw her. She stopped most of the bleeding on your wrists.”

            “Yeah. Um. She acts like I’m her pet.”

            “Nice.”

            “Um. Kyra?”

            This was Luke. He looked like a deer in headlights.

            “Yeah?”

            “Can I see your side?”

            “What?”

            “Your side.”

            “Let him see it.”

            “Why should I?”

            “Because he’s a healer.”

            “Fine.”

            “Thank you.”

            I scooted to the edge of the bed. Luke came closer to me and motioned for me to pull up the edge of my shirt. He ran his fingers over my side while humming a tune. All of a sudden, my side started to glow. A small mark appeared in a black ink-like substance. It looked like a tattoo. It formed into a small eye, next to what looked like a paw print.

            “Dafu-“

            Luke cut me off.

            “Hush. It’s part of your powers. Let me see it.”

            He moved closer. His finger lit with a bright green light, almost the same color as his eyes. He touched his flaming finger to my side. At first it felt like a heat pack. It started to burn. All over. I felt like I was melting. I didn’t know it, but I was screaming. Every inch of me was in agony. He quickly released me. I didn’t know what to do. Even the clothing that caressed my skin felt like molten metal.