The Visitor

I walk onto the grassy plain the Academy calls the front lawn. My aviators make things hard to see, but I manage to make out my best friend Vasilisa Dragomir, and a tall dhampir guardian standing a few feet away from her. I bristle, not liking a stranger standing so close to Lissa. but, as I approach him, he seems familiar. Disturbingly familiar. Something about those chocolate brown eyes and chin-length hair. Lisa's voice broke into my thoughts, saying,

"Let's go play an icebreaker game or something!" She chirped. The dhampir walks stiffly, as if unsure of his surroundings. I smirk and snort. Typical, I think. As Lissa walks us into the meeting room of St. Vladimir's Academy, I notice how all the male dhampirs watch me with want, while the female dhampirs watch me with envy. We walk into the room and I close the door. Then I take a survey of the room. Everything seems in place. Lissa sits down on the plush chair and pats the chair next to her. I walk over and sit down, kicking my feet up on the table. I pull my aviators off and set them on the table, next to my feet.

"So," Lissa began, "Dimitri, what's your full name?" Huh. Dimitri. I know that name. But it couldn't be THAT Dimitri. "Dimitri Belikov," he says, in a horrifically familiar Russian accent. "Rose?" I see shock then confusion, then many other things cloud Dimitri's gaze. "Rosemarie Hathaway." I say. Refusal to believe that filled Dimitri's eyes. Then I remembered it. Five years ago.

Uh-oh.

This was my Dimitri.