Black Boys Bloom Thorns First Chapter 30

Cheap on your skin, smooth
Jewels that ring
Shine hit your eyes, black kiss the ring
Ruby ebony sides, time

Change my eyes for something cool

A dream never leaving my sight
A sun never leaving my side
A feeling, a door starts to close
I'm feeling the burn in my eyes
The eyes of a heavy
Best suited to staying indoors like a good nigga
I treated the hope like my home
And destroyed it, go figure
Still proud, best of my abilities
Still I think about an exit
No one ever will appreciate
The way you bare your soul (for them to) or attune
I'm through
I'm through

Blood Orange – "Jewelry"

The Hatut Zeraze.

Dogs of War.

N'Jobu's father created the elite force as security for the nation in and outside of Wakanda, and N'Jobu found himself enveloped in their midst. Three years in the military, going up through the ranks without special consideration, and now he was in a position to make the military his permanent career, or transition into what his family wanted.

Sitting in the officer's club outdoor patio, N'Jobu sipped a prized honey-sweetened tea that his mother sent him for his birthday. He was now twenty-eight, an officer for his nation, a gentleman to his fiancé, Zinzi, and the favorite uncle of his three-year-old nephew, T'Challa.

T'Chaka was in talks with the council of elders to expand the country's secret spy ring further in the world. The ambitious King wanted his hand on the pulse of every major foreign city that could be a source of friction or vital global information for Wakanda. As the world grew smaller and more interconnected, it would encroach upon Wakanda sooner rather than later. And their neighboring country Niganda was actually trying to flex a bit in the United Nations, seeking redress for land inside of Wakanda.

The nerve.

N'Jobu scrolled through the intranet on his comm tab.

There were messages waiting for him from Zinzi. She wanted to discuss the upcoming trip to Washington, D.C. that summer, and he wasn't sure he wanted her to come with him and T'Chaka. Once he was back in Wakanda, there was less talk from her about marrying Gcuma, and he was afraid that she had given up all hope of making her dream a reality.

Of course, any talk of going to the states brought up the inevitable memory of Califia. He had done well to burn all bridges, and although he still felt love for her and thought of her from time to time, his life had pivoted into concerns and new challenges that made his American past echo away from him. His memories of her were no longer the giant splash in a pond; they were now the lazy ripples that were far away from the original source of impact.