Sea of Stars by @MarsDorian

Areel whooshed through the void space of the universe

Areel whooshed through the void space of the universe. She wanted to dance to the silence of the stars when far away, light dots flickered in the black. Not stars, not even comets, but something else entirely—something human-made.

Areel floated farther into space, her shielded eyes glued to the light spectacle unfolding in the void. The dots glowed brighter and revealed a square-shaped object.

A human spaceship carrier roared through the void but something wasn’t right. Its thrusters burned out. Shreds shattered from the hull plating.

The carrier seemed to break apart.
Areel dashed through the void, trying to get closer to the failing ship, which roared many thousands of miles away.

But Areel was fast, an organic torpedo blasting through the cosmic soup.
Small objects impacted the carrier’s rear.
Scraps blew like metal confetti.

Areel needed to zigzag to evade the incoming space debris.

She should have turned away, but oh my, the spectacle was too compelling. She’s never been THAT close to a battle.

Another object rammed the hull of the carrier. Its rear tore apart, shedding one layer after another. Humans in their thick suits swirled out. They flailed their arms, unable to navigate in the darkness.
They were so weak.

A human with thick armor whirled around. He tried to use his suit’s thruster, but failed to ignite them. Soon, the void would swallow him like his vicious brothers.

And yet, Areel watched and waited.
She had never seen a human THAT close. Areel could already hear the warnings of her father, mind-telling her to watch out.
Hu-mans; they were not to be trusted.
Avoided like the star debris pulsating from the breaking carrier.

And yet, Areel watched and neared the helpless human. She swung toward his rear and tackled his thick arms to decelerate. A light inside his helmet illuminated the man’s face inside, his dry lips, the darkish skin and reef green eyes. Oh my, those eyes, shaped like bloom crystals on nova comets. The human opened his mouth, but the void silenced whatever he tried to say. As if she could understand their language.

Far far away, a smaller ship emerged, picking up the humans floating in space. Areel tried to mind-talk to the human, but these primitive beings didn’t understand their psych-language. Instead, she nudged him toward to the smaller space ship. She wanted to say, I’ll save you, this once, so don’t make me regret it, promise?

Of course he couldn’t answer, but his beaming eyes were assurance enough. He was either shocked or in trance.

Areel dragged him near the pick-up ship and gently pushed him toward its direction. His gloved hand reached after her, before a metallic arm from the craft picked him up.
Be safe, star man, and please don’t hurt our kin anymore.

Areel returned the long journey back her home hive, orbiting the planet Poseidon-5. Thoughts buzzed around her mind, like little debris, all whirring around the mysterious soldier whom she had saved.