Chapter 1

The train station was busy, but not bustling like normal. Surely someone else had seen him there... He had been sitting there...

It was 15°C (59°F), in Nottinghamshire, which was warm for autumn in the UK. Yet a subtle breeze was obvious enough to make my skirt stir gently. I looked cautiously around. Where had he gone? He can't just vanish...can he? Despite the fact that I didn't actually know who he was...he felt somewhat familiar. Like I had met him, one time, a long time ago. Who was he?

I tried to distract myself. Fiddling with the lace edging of my crop top. But to no avail. I looked hopelessly at the scrunched up, crumpled timetable my dad had given me, before dropping me off at the station. My navy blue bucket bag slung over my shoulder, and my black, dirty suitcase rested at my feet, like a patient dog awaiting orders. I reminded myself of the route for the thousandth time. While in the car, I found this a way of avoiding having to listen to dad's constant ramble of 'staying safe, to stay alive'. The whole "don't talk to strangers talk"... Yeah I get bored of it too. Yet dad insists on lecturing me about it almost every second of the day. Especially while travelling between his and mum's houses. Why do they live so far away anyway? Do they really hate each other that much?

I was on my way to my mum's house in London today. It is around a three and a half hour long journey. So dad had taken to his accustomed 'prep talk,' as he calls it, in the automobile on the way here. I had travelled this route many times, however I still felt nervous waiting for the mechanical, metal, moving machine to come and take me away to my destination; no matter how many times dad gave me the safety lecture. Maybe the mysterious, disappearing guy was catching the same train...in some ways I hoped not. Who was he anyway?