Chapter 6

It took all my strength to not jump up and run in that second. I nervously looked across to Abbie, who was looking up in somewhat awe and then down at me in amazement. I gulped and carefully meet Damien's steady, yet somehow flirtatious gaze.
"What do you want?" The words came out in a slightly more aggressive manor than I was expecting.
"Just coming over to say hi," a mischievous glint dashed across his glacier-like eyes. I simply glared back.
"Wh-,"
"Brittany let your gorgeous friend come say hi!" Abbie looked at me in annoyance, at the prospect I wasn't allowing Damien to accompany us. I stared at her in amazement, doing an Oscar worthy impression of a goldfish. "Please sit and join us," Abbie all too willingly offered.
"Thank you," Damien sat next to me and gave me a warm and friendly smile. My glare continued. "So what have you ladies been up to?" He looked over to Abbie, but his annoyingly gorgeous body was still angled towards me. I sighed.
"Oh just a bit of shopping. You know the essentials; bikinis, underwear, high heels," Abbie cheekily grinned. I steadily turned my glare back towards her.
"Ah of course, summer essentials are always necessary," he winked, while Abbie let out a little girly giggle. I stood up.
"I need the bathroom..."
"Perfect I'll lead you there since I need it to," Damien offered his hand.
"Aw such a gentleman!" Abbie grinned from ear to ear. Kill me now - was the only thought to enter my head. I gave Damien a fake smile and headed towards the bathroom with him.

"What do you want!?" I asked sharply.
"We've already been over this," Damien reminded me, as if I needed a reminder.
"Listen here pal, I don't want you, I don't need you, I don't like you in any way shape or for-"
"Yet," Damien winked.
"Ever!" I looked sternly at him. His grip on my arm tightened, since he had somehow, unknown to me, linked arms.
"Sweetheart you don't exactly have a choice."
"Don't I now? Just you wait! My father may be a cold, stern figure of which I'm not that close to, but he is a lawyer and I could get you locked up!" A cold, icy, yet still flirtatious laugh left Damien's thin-lined mouth.
"Have fun with that," he winked and backed me up against the wall. I gulped even harder than before, almost as if I was swallowing a tennis ball whole.
"Wha..what...what are yo-"

All too soon those cold, yet soft lips pressed into mine. My eyes were open wide, startled by this unexpected move. Damien gently persuaded my eyes closed and move his supportive hand to my waist. My hands were pressed against the wall and all his weight was against me, preventing any resistance. I wasn't sure if I was enjoying or hating this experience - but I knew for sure I was terrified. His other hand smoothly ran through my tangled hair, before he finally pulled away.

He face was emotionless, unreadable. He looked at me with his frosty, deep eyes. Observing. Almost expecting a response. Both our breaths had deepened and somewhat matched. Suddenly I gasped for air, like I had been holding my breath the entire time.
"Wh..what was that?...." I looked stunned.
"A kiss," he smirked.
"I know that..."
"You liked it?" Damien's even voice sounded half questioning, half stating a fact. I shrugged, not really sure how else to respond.

Had I enjoyed it? I still wasn't sure. But we had just met. We were literally strangers to each other. Well...he was at least a stranger to me. I awkwardly looked to my feet and brushed my hair behind my ear. For once the crazy, auburn curls stayed in place. I looked back up at him. His steady eyes were still politely glancing at me. I bit my lip, nervous, unsure.
"We should head back to your friend before she gets suspicious. After all, you didn't really need the toilet." For some reason I was shocked that he had realised my escape tactic; but then again it was an awfully common one. I nodded slightly and peeled myself off the wall. Damien's cool lips pressed against my warm, blushing cheek. I bit my lip harder, drawing blood temporarily.

I numbly followed this stranger back to my friend, still a little dumbfounded by the entire event. Abbie looked up at us.
"Have fun you two?" A sly smirk swiped across her face.
"Shut up..." I slightly whispered. I just about sat on the solid, steel seat and not the floor. I anxiously sipped at my Costa drink - I could make one last a lifetime.

Abbie and Damien started up a light chatter, but I was too busy replaying the kiss over and over again in my mind. Part of me wanted to enjoy it. The first proper, full on kiss in my life. Yet, the rational side of me reminded myself that this guy, man, angel... whatever he was, was an odd outsider that I barely knew. But the kiss...it had been so passionate... So truly real... He stalked me! He's not bad looking... He's not safe! My mind played over both sides of the argument and yet couldn't justify one answer.

"Britt, you alright?..." Abbie looked sincerely concerned at me. It was only then I realised I had been softly staring in her direction and mindlessly muttering. I gulped, this time only swallowing a golf ball.
"I'm fine..." My weaker voice was barely convincing.
"If you say so..." Abbie was nibbling her lip, also her nervous habit. Damien's surveying was still as steady-going, as a boat on a still, clear lake.

The next thing I remember was Damien's arms enclosing around me as everything went black.