Two

When does something stop working?

It's still winter and I'm on the corner table in the same old coffee shop trying to figure out how something just doesn't work anymore. Something breaks or falls apart and I still want to know what has broken or dislocated between us, Hyungwon.

I want to understand where things went wrong and try to fix it, because it doesn't make sense for me to throw it all away just because of a small defect.

Like that wristwatch on my arm, stopped. I just need to change the battery, that's what Hyunwoo said and it's such a simple solution.

Why don't you let me change our batteries too, Chae? I can fix it all. I can try to save what we had.

"Cappuccino Chocolate," a cheerful voice says behind me and puts the drink in front of me, beside the empty glass of what had once been an americano.

"I didn't ... I didn't ask for that." I turn my head toward the waiter to explain.

But I recognize him and his gentle smile as he offered me a sweet drink days earlier. Just like he does now.

"It's for your date."

"I don't have a date."

"You have one with me." He smiled again, taking off his apron. "My shift is over."

I move on the defective watch on my wrist and don't know what to answer. He still smiles and I smile back, lowering my eyes, accepting the drink.

"May I know your name?"

"Minhyuk." He reaches out and I reciprocate.

"Hoseok" I introduce myself. "But you can call me only Wonho."

He laughs, as if he was about to say something, but doesn't. Instead, his hoarse voice monopolizes me for the next few hours, but you're still here, deep in my mind.