'Til Death Do Us Part

This story is based on the song "Step It Out Mary."

The village of Kilgory was quiet in the early morning light, which bathed the roofs with a pale yellow light.

A young woman left one of the houses, carrying a large bucket by her side. Her long golden hair caught the first rays of the sun and glowed with its light. She went to the well in the center of the town and drew enough water to fill the bucket.

As she was preparing to leave, another girl came up with a bucket of her own. "Morning, Maire," she said with a smile, turning the crank on the well.

Maire set her bucket down and smiled at the other girl. "Morning, Niamh."

Niamh grunted as she pulled the water ever closer to the opening of the well. "How's that soldier boy of yours?"

"Colm?" Maire put a hand to her cheek and smiled. "He's well."

"Not going off to fight any time soon?" Niamh had gotten her bucket full. She picked it up and started walking down the street, Maire following.

"Oh, I hope not," Maire said hurriedly. "He would have told me."

Niamh sighed enviously. "Sure, you picked the best-looking man in the town."

Maire laughed. "He picked me, remember?"

"Oh, that's right, and you did nothing to lure him to you." Niamh giggled. "You just walked along with that golden hair of yours."

Maire smiled thoughtfully and played with a lock of her hair. "I suppose it is rather pretty."

Niamh scoffed. "Rather pretty? You know every boy wanted to wed you! Even some of the older men!"

Maire tossed her hair over one shoulder. "Sure, it's good Colm got me first, isn't it?"

Niamh stopped laughing suddenly. "Have you told your father yet?"

Maire shook her head. "Not yet. I don't want to...he doesn't like soldiers."

Niamh elbowed Maire. "You should tell him today. As soon as you get home."

Maire shoved Niamh back. "All right, all right, I will." They parted ways at Niamh's home, waving at each other as Niamh went into her house.

Maire stood for a moment, the bucket resting against her leg. I should tell him. I will tell him just as soon as I get home. Having made that silent resolution to herself, she went on her way.

She opened the door to her home and stepped into the dim building, humming to herself to keep her courage up.

"Maire?" Her father was sitting at the table with another man.

Maire started. She had been so caught up in her thoughts that she did not see that horse outside the door. "Father?"

Her father rose, and so did the man sitting across from him. "Maire, this is Lord Berach Naomhan."

Maire glanced at the man before looking back at her father. Lord Naomhan was tall with dark hair and a dark red coat. Maire curtseyed. "My lord."

Lord Naomhan stepped forward and took Maire's hand. "I have heard of your beauty, Maire. I know I am not the only one." Maire ducked her head and felt her cheeks flush.