Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Hey baby," she says coyly, her tone honey smooth and seductive as she approaches Ren on the couch. "I didn't hear from you, so I assumed you wanted me to come down on my own."

My heart almost stops at her words. Is this Ren's mate, or some kind of mistress he's been hiding?

"Well, you assumed wrong," Ren mutters.

His voice is guttural, bothered. There even seems to be another accent entwined in his speech, just like last time I came across him and couldn't decipher why he seemed so different to normal. It is happening again, like someone else has possessed his body and taken over, displaying unfamiliar traits that are nothing like Ren.

The girl wanders closer. She wears a sheer nightgown which luckily conceals enough so I don't see any other part of her. Ignoring what Ren has said, she comes to sit next to him on the couch, curling up against his side.

I should look away.

"What's the matter?" she asks, drawing the palm of her hand down his bare chest. The sight of it makes my stomach turn. Not out of disgust, but something like jealousy. My cheeks heat in embarrassment for just thinking it.

Ren ignores her advances, staring blankly ahead. As I look, I can't quite figure out what their relationship is. She seems all over him while he has no interest at all.

"I didn't ask you to come here," he says firmly.

He isn't snapping at her, and appears rather calm. He doesn't touch her, though, and doesn't even look in her direction. I'm so curious about who she is and what she means to him, and why he is reacting this way to her. If she's noticing, she's not acknowledging it as she continues to move her hand up and down his chest.

"You always want me here," she says, her voice turning whiney with each word. "What's changed so suddenly? Are you seeing someone else?"

Ren shrugs, still not looking at her. "I'm bored of you."

The words hit me in the chest just as much as they hit the girl. I've never heard Ren say anything like this to anyone. And here I am finding out he speaks to his partner in such a cruel manner, as if he couldn't care less about her feelings. A sour taste fills my mouth. I can hardly wrap my mind around it. Is this what Ren is truly like?

She pulls back, recoiling slightly. The heartbreak is all over her face. Ren isn't what I thought he was. He is not kind, he is not genuine. He's a cruel man under it all. And now I'm unsure if I can keep working for him.

"I've come across someone else who I prefer. We've met only once and she has attracted me beyond belief. I want her, and I will get her. Which means I'm done with you," he says firmly.

I can't believe what I'm hearing.

The poor girl looks as if she is about to cry. Finally, Ren turns to her, giving her attention for the first time tonight. His back now faces me, which I glare at. Would horrific man. What happened to the Ren I knew? It truly seems as though nightfalls and some unknown presence possesses him.

"This girl I want has hair blonde like yours, however, hers is honey golden, long and lush and wavy. Her eyes are pure azure blue, and her skin is smooth," Ren murmurs, running his hand through her hair. Then, he snatches it away. "Now I want her, not you. Get out."

The girl doesn't leave right away, her expression turning sour. "I know who you speak of. It's that girl isn't it? The one who you hired to do everything for you. I should have seen it."

My mouth turned dry. Me.

"What does she have that I don't?" she questions. When Ren doesn't give her an answer, she's on her feet, visibly fuming. I don't know what to do, what to think. Ren can't want me. There's no way. "Fine, good luck with her. For real, good luck, because there is now way she would want you."

This seems to upset Ren. Even from here, as he turns back around, I can see a muscle in his jaw tick. She's bothered him, I can see it in his eyes. The green one, that I love so much has lost its colour. The blue one, so vivid I can feel the cold from here.

"She doesn't want a man with all your problems. She wants to leave this place when she's taken your money, and she won't come back. She wants to travel and see other Packs," the girl spits. "So good luck."

It's so strange hearing someone else speak about me like this, I think, as the girl storms
up the stairs. None of this can be true.

But even I'm not sure as Ren growls and follows the girl back out the room.

🖤••💖

Want more of Ren!? On the site Radish, Ren is considerably ahead, so go check it out (:

••

I've also just posted the second novel in the Immortal series (in no way in correlation to book one which is Fate

It's Time!

🖤••💜

Instagram: Sophie_Midika

~Midika 💜🐼