Sue wondered where her mom was going with it.

"And... I know it is kind of late but... there was a few things I saw... I wish I could change... and I am sorry for them... I just wanted you to know that."

As her mom came to stand up, Sue grabbed her arm.

"Mom... there were also some very good things you did," Sue reminded her. "We were never very good at the mother-daughter stuff, but maybe... we could try to be friends instead."

"I am sorry to disappoint you, darling, but you are only beginning the mother-daughter stuff," and as she said it, Carla stroked Jay's hair. "And as far as you and I are concerned, I would like to give that friends stuff a chance, I have a feeling I might not be too bad at that one."

***

Jack found both women hugging. He was going to leave the room when Carla heard him and pulled away.

"Is everyone gone?" Sue's mom asked.

Jack nodded.

"Then I will see you tomorrow morning... late tomorrow morning. Good night."

"Anything I can get you?" Jack asked as he approached Sue.

"Yes, Jack... you."

He smiled and offered his hand. "That could be arranged. Come." He led her to the couch. After rearranging the cushions, he took Jay in his arms. "Just lay down sideways against the couch."

Once she complied, he followed her, and lying on his back, he lowered their sleeping little girl on his chest. After throwing the blanket over them, he offered his shoulder to Sue and wrapped her in one arm, while their hands intertwined over Jay's small body.

There were still enough lights on that she could read him. She lifted her head toward him, smiling peacefully. "Now I have everything I need, Jack."

"Me, too. I love you."

After a lingering kiss, she lowered her head back against his shoulder. Her breathing slowed down, and she fell asleep.

Jack replayed the shooting in his mind. It had been a close one. He still wasn't sure what made him change his aim for the head. But it saved his life and the lives of the two people he cared the most for. Next week, he would make it legal with Sue and hopefully with Jay. Tomorrow he would ask D if he had a lawyer for him. His mind was beginning to drift away when he heard footsteps.

Peter came to turn off the lights, certain everyone was upstairs. He didn't expect to find them lying on the couch. He also never meant to intrude. He knew his daughter was in love with that man, and that he loved her back. Until now, Peter never fully realized how dangerous their job was. Maybe it explained why they were not wasting any time in getting married. Once they figured out what they wanted, why wait... especially when you didn't know what tomorrow would bring. As Peter was backtracking, Jack's head turned in his direction, fully awake.

They locked eyes.

"You know, Jack... you would all be more comfortable in a nice bed than on a lumpy couch."

"We are fine. They are asleep. I need to keep them in my arms tonight," whispered softly Jack. "I came too close of losing them."

Mr. Thomas nodded. He had the feeling that Jack knew one of them was going to die tonight and that was why Jack wanted him to stay in the bedroom. Jack hadn't wanted Peter to watch him kill someone or die.

"I wasn't suggesting otherwise, son. I would also sleep better if you stayed with them."

Jack stared at him in disbelief.