How You Meet

Jack - It was almost two o'clock and Y/n was rushing to get to work. If she was late one more time her boss was going to be furious. She made it there just in time to get started before her boss stormed in, grumpy as ever. He was not in a good mood today which meant that they would be working an extra hour for their shift if they didn't watch what they did. 
       Sadly, one of the girls in Y/n's department hadn't noticed the foul mood he was in and had slacked off during the first hour of their two-hour shift, and now they were all going to have to stay for another hour. They were lucky enough to be given a short time from the beginning and they weren't keen on staying longer than necessary.
        By the time they were finished, the women working in the factory were ready to leave, they all packed up what they had and quickly left the mill. Y/n was one of the first to leave, knowing she would need to hurry if she wanted to avoid trouble. 
        She bustled through the busy streets of New York City and tried to avoid walking in areas where she would be slowed down. She had just passed through Newsies square when a young man stepped in front of her. She tried to side-step around him, but he stepped in front of her again. She looked up at him, agitated and put her hands on her hips, tapping her foot. He gave her a small grin and a devious look.
         "H'llo Miss! Can I interest you in an evenin' paper?" He cheekily smiled and Y/n sighed. Maybe her Father would be happy to get a newspaper.
         "Sure, I guess." She pulled a penny out of her coin bag and handed it to the boy. He tipped his imaginary cap to her and handed her the paper with a mock bow. A piece of his dark hair fell in front of his face. She shook her head slightly and stepped around him.
          "Have a good night, Miss!" The boy shouted to her as she walked away.
          That was interesting.

David - Y/n walked through the back door of Jacobi's and shrugged off her coat, pulling on her apron. After a long day of helping her mother at home and tutoring her siblings, it was a nice break to slip into her simple routine at the diner. She stepped into the main room and heard the ear-splitting noise that followed a certain group of teen boys. She rolled her eyes. This is a headache just waiting to happen. She put on a fake smile and walked to the first table of boys, ignoring their flirtatious advances and putting their order in for Mr. Jacobi to get it ready. She moved on to the next two tables, successfully avoiding their unwanted attention.
        When she got to the last table, Y/n got out her notepad.
       "What can I get for you, gentlemen?" She asked without looking up. 
        "Hello, doll. You'se lookin' very pretty today." She rolled her eyes and looked at the boy who had a cigar hanging from his mouth. The Newsies were known for being a rambunctious group and a pack of heart-breakers at that.
       "Is there somethin' I can get for ya?" She gave him an incredulous look. He sighed and ordered, the rest of them following suit. The last boy to order was the most polite by far. He smiled sweetly at her and ran a hand through his curly brown hair. Y/n smiled back and took their order to Jacobi, going through the rest of her shift. The newsies had been there for almost three hours when Jacobi pulled Y/n aside.
        "Alright, go ahead and take off. I can handle the rest of the night. 'Sides, I think you've got someone waiting for you." Jacobi winked and patted Y/n on the shoulder. Y/n looked over at them confused and saw that they were glancing over at her every couple of seconds. 
       "Oh, no! Mr. Jacobi, it's alright. I'm not meeting anyone after this. They're probably just hanging around because its nice in here." Y/n stuttered, grasping at straws. The cold weather outside led a lot of stragglers to the comfort of Jacobi's Diner. There's no way this was her fault. 
        "Now don't get all in a huff. I'm not blamin' you." Jacobi chuckled and turned her to the coat hangers.
       "You just get goin'. You're not gettin' paid less or nothin'. Just think of it as... an early holiday bonus." He pushed her and turned around laughing happily. Y/n shook her head in exasperation before grabbing her coat and scarf, bundling herself up to face the snow. 
        She trudged into the streets and started walking when she heard shouts of delight and saw a few of the young Newsies running ahead of her. They were playing around in the snow despite their lack of warm clothing and it brought a smile to her face seeing their happy faces. She was only a block away from the Diner when she heard someone calling to her.
       She turned to see the curly haired boy from inside jogging to catch up with her. He apologized for his friends' behavior inside and for waiting in the deli for so long. They talked until they got to Y/n's house and she smiled at him, wishing him goodnight.
        "Oh! Before I forget, What's your name?" The boy asked shyly.
       "I'm Y/n. What's yours?" 
        "David." He smiled at her before jogging away to his friends.

Newsies PreferencesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara